Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thats what I would call great beginners luck.
Are they using comb that is in the boxes or making their own? That would have to be a huge swarm to use 3 or 4 boxes. If they are thin and spread out, you will have to consolidate them for your coming winter. The only reason I would consider moving them now is that they can't heat 4 boxes up there in the winter. If you have never worked bees before (100 boxes?) they will crawl all over empty boxes and frames, but not "use"them. Try to find the strongest concentration of bees and put that box on a bottom board where they are at. You really need the queen in this box if you can find her. If the swarm really is that large, a second box of bees on top of that, Then a box with some frames of honey in it. Put a cover on it and let them settle in before you try to move it. I wouldn't worry about good or bad boxes at this point. Let them get established and then we'll worry about putting frames of bees in good boxes.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
First, advice given on an internet forum may be good for only the area it comes from. A swarm down here this time of year where I live stands very little chance of building comb from nectar. Where you live, you may be having a great flow right now. You may also have a fall flow. That they have built comb sounds promising. I would consider feeding, I know you have a super of honey on them, but that and pollen is what they are going to need to raise brood. I think that feeding would be good insurance.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
"That's what I like to hear! Congrats...."
me too
"Thanks. I will keep you updated on this hive."
Hold to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts