Bees in winter?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by wltwine, Oct 15, 2009.

1. wltwine

wltwine New Member

Hello fellow beekeepers, this is my first year beekeeping, and I was wondering if and when I should start feeding my bees, they have two deep supers that are filled out, but I am not sure when to start feeding and what type of feeder to use. I live on the east coast, on the VA and NC border, winters are fairly mild. Also what about entrance reducers and or mouse guards to use or not to use. any advice would be helpful.
    :confused:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome from another tarheel.

Mouse guards and entrance reducers should be on now. As for feeding, you need to determine how much they have stored. 50 lbs. is a median amount to get them through the winter. If there is enough honey in the two deeps to fully fill one of them, no feeding is needed. An empty two deep hive will weigh approx. 50 lb., so your hive needs to weigh 100 lb. or more to be safe for the winter.

If feed is needed, I would use internal feeders, not the boardman entrance feeders, and do it asap.

They should also be checked for stores in Feb. and fed at that time if needed.

3. wltwine

wltwine New Member

Thanks for the info, both supers are fully drawn out. But I need to add mouse guard/entrance ruducer. again thanks for your help. :wave:

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Iddee covered it, welcome to the forum! :hi:

5. Smallah64

Smallah64 New Member

Guys,
    Can I aks another question? I have a honey super on top of two of my hives with two deeps that is filled with honey, and a feeder on top of that. Should I remove the feeder and the honey or will they use the honey that far up in the winter? Is there a better feedin method now that we've had this crazy snow storm yesterday. I think I'll wrap the hives in paper as well this year.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You need to remove the feeder. Too much moisture in the winter. As for the super, you should leave 40 to 60 lb. of stores for them. The amount in the two bottom boxes will tell you if you need to leave the super.

Regardless, it won't hurt anything to leave it on.

7. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Smallah64 said: Guys, Can I aks another question?
    That makes your post contain two questions :lol:
    Lucky for you, there's no limit on the number of questions you ask. That's what this forum is all about. The bigger problem is when you get too many differing opinions in answer to your questions. But generally all the answers point in the same direction and give you the option to chose what suits you (and hopefully your bees) best. :|
    Welcome to the forum. Enjoy yourself here. :yahoo:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

smallah64 writes:
    Should I remove the feeder and the honey or will they use the honey that far up in the winter? Is there a better feedin method now that we've had this crazy snow storm yesterday. I think I'll wrap the hives in paper as well this year.

tecumseh:
    it is likely a bit late to remove honey or to feed anything liquid at your location. a candy board or drivert would likely be the feed of choice at this time of year. some folks wrap and some do not. if you are in a location that get lost of blowing snow and wet winter weather wrapping might be advisable. in most places in the US from the mid states south wrapping is not essential.

9. Smallah64

Smallah64 New Member

Thanks alot Tecumseh and everyone for allowing me to jump into this discussion, it's incredibly informative. The snow this last weekend threw a wrench into everything.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh my someone used the S word :oops:

11. letitbee

letitbee New Member

That made my day!!! :lol:

12. efmesch

efmesch New Member

Oh SNOW :clap: