bees inspection

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JUDELT, Jul 28, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Well, i went into the hives today for bi-weekly check. I have 3 hives; the 2 end ones are doing great,but the middle one i had to put a jar feeder on top because there were a few bees doing the starving thing! i thought i would have to feed from past inspections. Hope this gets them back up to size! now, #1 hive the foundation in the top brood box has melted down! they have been busy trying to repair it, tho! I wouldn't be able to get the frames without destroying them all and with them bringing in honey i don't think i should bother them, should i ? the top super has 3 frames of sealed honey,both sides. when i checked 2 weeks ago only one side was filled and capped! I know the main flow is over, but we still have honeysuckle in the field across from us and i planted lots of flowers and herbs they are visiting. #3 hive i pulled a super of honey off last month, about this time,infact. they don't have honey in it yet, but they are working on the brood laying, etc.they are also a very strong hive. I hope i did everything ok. thanks, Judy

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Have you actually seen the bees working the honeysuckle? I have always heard that the honeysuckle blossoms are too deep for honeybees to work.

3. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

no, but i heard it's an important honey crop