Bees interested in potted plants

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Steve777, May 17, 2013.

1. Steve777

Steve777 New Member

I've noticed something that seems odd to me, my bees are "rummaging around" some potted blueberry plants. That is to say they are landing in the pots and crawling around on the soil, presumably collecting something. The plants themselves are just starting to leaf out, but the bees seem to be interested in the soil surface.

I am curious what they might be interested in in potting soil. Any ideas? (FWIW, the "soil" is peat moss, coir and perlite and was just mixed up a few weeks ago).

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If the soil is very damp, it could be that they are coming to it to collect water. While providing them with the opportunity to drink it doesn't carry the risk of drowning.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

steve,
    what ef said, that would be my guess as well, bees will forage for water in potted plants.

4. Steve777

Steve777 New Member

Thanks. Makes sense, but I am surprised that they would bother with a few pots, when for the last few weeks, there is a seasonal stream running over the land, providing many sq yards of wet soil for them.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Taste is a factor that varies with every individual---bees too have their preferences.

6. ronsin

ronsin Member

cuold they be leaf cutter bees. i dont know if you get them in colorado we have them over here in uk bees cut off a piece of a leaf and wrap it round a small larva making a beautiful wrapped package and then bury in soil or compost a friend of mine used to grow a lot of fushia plants and told me he saw virtually dozens of these bees burying their packages in his pots .try pulling a bit of the compost out and see if you find any little green parcels . these bees are harmless and cause no damage to plants

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That's what my bees do, and the ones that do that are some of the friendliest bees too.