Bees & Maple syrup

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

No, not a recipe!

Do bees harvest maple sap when trees are tapped in the spring? My Mom said she saw a bee drinking at a pool of sap on a tapped sugar maple. Makes sense, I guess. Maple syrup honey... hmmmm....

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maple sap has always been a spring staple for the bees in this area.

3. rast

rast New Member

I plead total ignorance. Can you tap Red Maple?

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We do ;)

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Yes they use the dripping sap from wind broken limbs and other sources.

I got to taste some maple honey from Vermont one year. :D really has that maple flavor to it.

:mrgreen: Al

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Really? I didn't think they would produce edible syrup.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I think you can tap any maple, but the yield and taste may be different. When I was a kid, my Dad and I tapped the maple trees in our yard, which were swamp maples. I remember him drilling one without having the bucket ready, and the sap poured out... I caught it in my hands and ate it... sweet! We got gallons of sap, boiled for hours and hours, and ended up with a tiny jar of syrup.

Ah, memories!

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Memories!! I remember working a suger shack for a while as a kid. the smell of hot maple syrup and wood smoke are a steady reminder of that time. A time when mud season didn't seem so bad.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Never seen maple syrup made,do they cook the syrup like making sorghum molasses? My uncle's family ran sorghum mills in the fall fore years. Jack

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I am told the big operations are different than my youth experiance. Back then the tree was drilled and a short pipe driven in and a pail hung from it. Every evening the owner went around and colled those pails of sap pouring then into a stock tank with a valve on one end. he also had a couple of barrels for extra. At the sugar shack they had a fire pit about 8 feet long by 4 to 6 feet wide. On that pit were pans of about 6 feet by two feet. they were filled with sap and boiled stired every so often and a bit checked for viscosity. When it was ready a (hand)hoist lifted the pan off to be poured in wooden barrels which were bottled from. The pan was set back on the fire more sap being dumped in to boil.

11. rast

rast New Member

Will it turn to candy if you over cook it? I am very familiar with making sugar cane syrup and there is a very fine line to get the viscosity right and not overcooking it. It turns into rock candy when it has cooled if overcooked.

12. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I suppose it could. They did how ever keep an egale eye on it when it got close.