Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not a recipe!

Do bees harvest maple sap when trees are tapped in the spring? My Mom said she saw a bee drinking at a pool of sap on a tapped sugar maple. Makes sense, I guess. Maple syrup honey... hmmmm....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes they use the dripping sap from wind broken limbs and other sources.

I got to taste some maple honey from Vermont one year. :D really has that maple flavor to it.

:mrgreen: Al

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you can tap any maple, but the yield and taste may be different. When I was a kid, my Dad and I tapped the maple trees in our yard, which were swamp maples. I remember him drilling one without having the bucket ready, and the sap poured out... I caught it in my hands and ate it... sweet! We got gallons of sap, boiled for hours and hours, and ended up with a tiny jar of syrup.

Ah, memories!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Memories!! I remember working a suger shack for a while as a kid. the smell of hot maple syrup and wood smoke are a steady reminder of that time. A time when mud season didn't seem so bad.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Never seen maple syrup made,do they cook the syrup like making sorghum molasses? My uncle's family ran sorghum mills in the fall fore years. Jack

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I am told the big operations are different than my youth experiance. Back then the tree was drilled and a short pipe driven in and a pail hung from it. Every evening the owner went around and colled those pails of sap pouring then into a stock tank with a valve on one end. he also had a couple of barrels for extra. At the sugar shack they had a fire pit about 8 feet long by 4 to 6 feet wide. On that pit were pans of about 6 feet by two feet. they were filled with sap and boiled stired every so often and a bit checked for viscosity. When it was ready a (hand)hoist lifted the pan off to be poured in wooden barrels which were bottled from. The pan was set back on the fire more sap being dumped in to boil.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Will it turn to candy if you over cook it? I am very familiar with making sugar cane syrup and there is a very fine line to get the viscosity right and not overcooking it. It turns into rock candy when it has cooled if overcooked.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I suppose it could. They did how ever keep an egale eye on it when it got close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts