Bees Maybe?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 15, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A friend ( lives in Arkansa) called and left a message on our answering machine, ask what kind of bee that lives in a hole in the ground and is bigger than a sweat bee, but not as big as a honey bee? She said they come boiling out of the ground when they mow over them , but pay them no mind, (don't try to sting them?) I'm thinking Yellow Jackets:eek:, but they are bigger than a honey bee, and do sting?:???: Any thoughts? Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, they are skinny where a honeybee is fat. They would look smaller to a novice. It is yellow jackets.

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Never heard of a yellow jacket that doesn't sting when a mower goes over the nest . . .

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've never seen any bee other than a YJ or bumblebee come "boiling" out of the ground.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

africans ground nest and are small but they do bother quite a bit when disturbed.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

like iddee said jack......yellow jackets.......they come out in full force when mowed over, make your fat cells scream from running......:lol:
    oh but you gents don't have fat cells......:lol:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I guess you haven't seen mine. :lol::rotfl::rolling:

My method of attending to Yellow jacket ground nests is to pour kerosene down their hole AT NIGHT (when they are all home) and then cover it over with a pile of soil so they can't get out before they die.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I think i remember seeing a beekeeper working bees without a shirt that may have some fat cells. Hmmm, i don't have any iddee who that was. :lol: Jack

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol::rolling::rotfl:Oooooooooooooooh, you gonna pay for that one I bet Jack! :lol:

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

boys will be boys......

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gents have fat cells???? :grin:
    ef~ "I guess you haven't seen mine. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    jack~ "I think i remember seeing a beekeeper working bees without a shirt that may have some fat cells. Hmmm, i don't have any iddee who that was. [​IMG] Jack"
    perry~ "[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Oooooooooooooooh, you gonna pay for that one I bet Jack! [​IMG]

.......LOL you guys......so one question do your fat cells shake and shimmy when you mow over a pile of yellow jackets and run faster than you think your legs can carry you?......:lol:

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

....So much so that I can't even run as fast as I thought I could :lol:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"....So much so that I can't even run as fast as I thought I could [​IMG] "

LOL ef!

so jack any more questions or education about fat cells and yellow jackets?............:lol:

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

No,i think you got me in enough trouble riverbee.:eek: And perry made it worse.:roll: Now i have to choose my words carefully:grin:. Jack

15. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Speaking of fat cells and running: I too have far too many fat cells, and I have one knee that is worn out and one that is a synthetic replacement. (as a side bar comment, the knee replacement set off every metal detector in all the airports from Fort Worth, Texas to Juneau, Alaska) Running is not an option. I tell the roughnecks (oilfield drilling personnel) not to mess with me or I will kill them. I have no other choice as I'm too old to run or fight. Of course it's a joke, but it is also true. :)

16. SkyeFeetham

SkyeFeetham New Member

I agree with you in this situation the only choice is to run from there, fighting with them is an insane thing, you can't handle all the bees. This situation might look like a joke but someone who faced he feels it's the worst situation of his life.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

skye~
    "I agree with you in this situation the only choice is to run from there, fighting with them is an insane thing, you can't handle all the bees. This situation might look like a joke but someone who faced he feels it's the worst situation of his life."

skye, i think most of us have unfortunately stumbled across yellow jacket nests in the ground. as beekeepers, most of us have tolerated a great number of stings, and numerous stings all at once from a snarky hive, and quite possibly from a yellow jacket nest. as a beekeeper and someone who is receiving venom immunotherapy injections for all stinging insects, (including yellow jackets), the situation as you said, would not be a joke, and she (rather than he) might be faced with the worst situation of her life. i tend to treat situations with some humor, it is a good 'tool' to have in my first aid/emergency kit for me; helps me deal with reality sometimes. i hope you understand. :grin:

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Up date, our friend e mailed us, saying they know what yellow jackets and bumble bees are, and these bees (or?) are neither? She said she took her camera and got down next to their nest (the hole in the ground) and took several pictures until she almost stopped the hole up with her camera and one stung her. She is sending the pictures to a college professor that studies insects to get them identified. Where they live in Arkansas, they can't get internet, and have to go in town to the Library to use there computer.When i find out more i'll post it. Jack
    PS. kind of bugs you don't it.:lol:

19. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Riverbee you must have a huge humor meter. You are well known for your wisdom, writing and GOOD HUMOR. Your wisdom and wit are a blessing to this forum, but I don't want to get mushy so take great caution around those damnable yellow jackets.

Yellow jackets are the only thing that has ever stung me while they were just foraging. They really are attracted to peas when in bloom, and they will sometimes sting just because you shake the plant with picking peas. The wasps on my peas never sting. Honey bees do not seem to care about peas. Go figure.

I'm back on the job tonight in South Louisiana, a mere 15 or miles west of New Orleans, or as the natives say NAWLINS.

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mystery solved, they are Yellow Jackets.What i can't understand is how she got that close to them, and playing around their nest and only took one hit.:???: Jack