Bees messing with my mind??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jun 30, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yesterday i brought home 6 med. supers of honey from a outyard and was putting them in the basement when i notice a small ball of bees on the tailgate of my truck and another ball of bees on the saw blade on my weedeater that was in the truck bed? I took my finger and moved them around and found a small queen in the ball on my tailgate, i had a empty nuc in the truck and put the queen in it and shook the bees off the weedeater in with her. The nuc was on the tailgate and 3 bees on the landing board started fanning and the ball of bees on the tailgate started going into the nuc, as i was watching i notice bees flying in from the direction of my bee yard south of the house and going into the nuc? At first i thought i had missed seeing a frame of brood in one of the honey supers and brought them home with me, i checked all 6 supers and all are capped honey, no brood? It must of been a after swarm that came from my beeyard south of the house and landed on my tailgate while i was carrying the supers into the basement??? I waited till dark and closed them up. I waited till around noon today and put a frame of brood and nurse bees in the nuc and took them to some friends farm 5 mile away where i have 6 hives, i'll check them in a week or two and see how there doing. I know what your thinking:roll: and no i hadn't been drinking:lol:. Have any of you had anything crazier than this with your bees?:???: Jack

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Only when I've been drinking! :lol:

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Only when the 2 queen hive threw out the 2nd queen. She and her half a cup of followers are still going and growing, lol

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A Virgin queen? check your hives sooner than later you may have confused a queen when she was doing orientation flights. You may find a hive with no new eggs and brood and no brood and eggs the proper age to make a new one. easy to fix if discovered right away.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

cant say that I have found a queen in a ball of bees in the truck after pulling honey. I have had bees I drug home ball up in the evening. You may need to check your hives might not have a queen in one of them

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth ....so to speak...sounds like good fortune to me.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Would a virgin queen have attendants fly 75 yards with her on a orientation flight and land on my truck?? I left the nuc open for 2 hrs. before i closed it up, they could of left and go back if they wanted to. I don't have a clue:???:. Like riverrat said, i've also had bees (riders) that came home with me and ball up in the truck, but this was to many bees for that and in 2 places, one on the tailgate and the other about 2ft. above them on the weedeater and more bees flying in? The basement door was 5ft. from my truck and i had carried 4 supers in when i noticed them,when i found the queen my first thought was i brought home one of the 3 hives queen:shock: (and may have?) This was a small bright yellow queen, when i was getting the nuc she had left the tailgate and i found her on the weedeater (Had used it to cut brush and sprouts from around hives) caught her and put her in the nuc, and the rest was easy, but i'm still confused??? Like i said, i hadn't been drinking, but i am now.:lol: Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the ditzy blonds can do some strange things... I do recall (some time back) seeing a queen and trying to catch her and then looking for 30 minutes trying to figure out where she had gone only to find her half way back to the house riding on my hat and veil (tossed on the passenger seat of my truck). on another occasion after spending one day knocking off packages for my neighbor, when I got ready to untie the ropes at the very first yard the next day I found a group of about 12 bees and a very nice yellow queen riding in an empty package.

that kind of stuff is the fun part of beekeeping Jack and I certainly hope you are having lots of that!

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

There's not much better than free bees! I hope it all goes well with you (and them)!

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A beekeeper that works their bees will never have a idle mind:thumbsup:. The bees will see to that, like my buddy perry says, they are all women.:eek: So go figure.:lol: Jack

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"like my buddy perry says, they are all women.[​IMG] So go figure.[​IMG] Jack"

.........:queen:...........:lol: