Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two bee hives and in both hives the bees in the lower brood boxes the bees are only drawing out the inside 7 to 8 frames and then they moved up the the top boxes and are doing the same thing just wondering if there is something i should do to get the bees build the outside frames. thanks for any info you may have

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you only had ten frames with brood and food, I would take off the super you do not need. You added the second super too early. A general rule is wait until the bees have filled all they have 70 to 80 prcent with brood and food.
At this point you could also keep feeding them light syrup, 1:2 to stimulate comb production.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
and make certain frames number 3 and 7 in the bottom box are not solid pollen frames or capped honey. if yes... reshuffling these towards the outside wall is a good idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you only had ten frames with brood and food, I would take off the super you do not need. You added the second super too early. A general rule is wait until the bees have filled all they have 70 to 80 prcent with brood and food.
At this point you could also keep feeding them light syrup, 1:2 to stimulate comb production.
I may have misspoke i dont have any supers on it is just 2 brood boxes that they are not filling up.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I suspect buckethat that this is just a misunderstanding in translation. A box is a box is a box... it may be used for brood or honey or both but it essentially is still just a box. A super is simply a box (of whatever size) that has been superimposed on another box.

if the upper and lower box are the same size (ie the frame sizes are identical) then I would simply consolidate the frames downward.... keeping as much of the brood frames together as possible (the exception being the frames adjacent to the outside wall I would rather have in stores of either pollen and or honey).

·
Registered
38 Posts
and make certain frames number 3 and 7 in the bottom box are not solid pollen frames or capped honey. if yes... reshuffling these towards the outside wall is a good idea.
Why is this? I know the queen won't go above honey. Will she not go to the outside of it either? Never heard of this. Thanks for mentioning it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
11Nick;155217) I know the queen won't go above honey. [/QUOTE said:
The queen will definitely go above honey if she so desires, that's one of the reasons they make queen excluders.

Murrell

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
She will normally go outside neither honey nor pollen. Tec said pollen, since the bees will move honey to allow her to move sideways. They will not move pollen. She will be trapped between 2 frames of pollen and have no place to lay. I would move the drawn non-brood frames to the outside and/or down, and move the empties into the top box in a checkerboard pattern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts