Bees on front of box, early morning?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TexasnewBee, May 1, 2013.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

The last 3 mornings I have noticed, first thing in the morning, shortly before sunup, a group of bees on the front of the box around the entrance. Temps have been in the upper 50s lower 60s? I have not noticed this, in the my short experience with bees over the last 1-1/2 years. Is this an indicator they do not have enough room? These bees were from a beetree cutout in March.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Lack of room is one possibility. Lack of ventilation is another. Check both.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

texas,
    are the girls foraging? or are they loafing around?
    also, what iddee said.

4. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

At this time of the morning, they are just thinking about getting started, but yes, during the day they are very busy. Here in North Texas may have a decent flow going right now.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

texas,
    then i would think room and ventilation, and bees will beard out. i zoomed in on your photo and it appears to me there are bees lined up in the bottom deep on the bottom board?

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yep what Iddee said... top entry and top ventilation is much more important than most folks might image.

I like how you set that up with the railroad ties.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Cold front coming in tomorrow. Most of my hives looked a little like this the past couple of evenings, but I'm not changing to summer lids til this front passes. I have screened bottom boards, they have wings, and my winter insulating lids do have a small gap for ventilation from the top.

8. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the comments. I do have a screened bottom board and an inner cover with the slot in it. It has been a few weeks since I have been into this hive. I will go into it again after this expected cold front moves thru and warms back up, to see how full the 2 deeps are. I did look into the med honey super at lunch today and it still has empty foundation on it and maybe a few hundred bees per frame, not many.

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Can you smell anything from the hive ?

Rarely, I have had bees bearding overnight on the front of a hive during a strong flow. It can be a sign of the bees in the hive working hard to evaporate the nectar into honey. On these occasions there was a distinctive smell from the hive.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Barbarian, I actually noted that nectar odor yesterday when peeking in on the supers to see how they were doing...

11. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

I haven't noticed a smell. I'll keep a nose out for that when I take a peek next time. Today has been in the 40s and 20-30 mph winds. No bees were hangin around outside this morning for sure.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I have screened bottom boards

tecumseh...
    I see the same thing on screened bottom boards at the lab which have screened bottom board. I think the wind is creating the need for the bees to cluster at the bottom of the box to protect any brood there <all a theory for certain but I see non of this on my own hive at home which all have solid bottom boards.

13. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Ok thanks Tec, I will keep that in mind while I'm doing my head scratchin'.