Bees on the underside of the screened bottom

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Sharbee, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Sharbee

Sharbee New Member

Newbie in Oklahoma here, have had my hive 1 year and I need guidance! Here's what happened, long but necessary. I did a full inspection Saturday and there were a large number of bees under the telescoping lid. I set the lid to the side of the hive to do the inspection. The hive, 2 deeps, was packed with bees and honey and I was worried about swarming because temps have been up to 70 during the day and there was a lot of drone larva so I attempted a walk-away split into a 3rd deep. After putting the original hive back together when I picked up the lid all the bees that had been on the lid were on the ground in a group the size of a dinner plate on the cement block under and beside the hive and they were fanning. A minute later they all started streaming towards the hive at once and I though they were going towards the entrance. I went to put my equipment away and went I came back they were gone so I didnt think a lot of it but yesterday I got to thinking about the streaming and fanning behavior and took a look under the hive with a flash light. See attached picture. Did I disturb a preswarm on the lid and now they are trying to reform a group to swarm or are they just clustering to keep warm? Do I need to get them back in the hive asap? I was going back into the hive Saturday to check on the split, is that soon enough? I closed off the sides and back of the hive and front has a reducer. Help! 20190320_174542.jpg

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd want to know if there is a queen in that clump. Saturday is 2 days off, any chance you can put some frames in a nuc and brush them off into it this evening, throw a feed jar on and close the hive, then inspect on saturday?

Last time I had repeated clumps leaving, there 2 queens in my hive for all of the flow and they booted one queen when flow ended. And found a clump near the base of the hive with a queen in it and put her back in the same box twice, and they kicked her out again. This is where my advice to stick them in a nuc comes from.

You will have to decide what to do, timewise, but my suggestion is get them in a nuc, be sure they don't starve and look saturday

3. Sharbee

Sharbee New Member

Thank you so much for the advice. I did what you said and dumped them in a nuc today with two frames of honey. We will see what happens I guess. It does sound a lot like there might have been another queen in there.

4. Gypsi

So how are your bees?

5. Sharbee

Sharbee New Member

I apologize for taking so long to respond, got very busy and kept forgetting about my thread here. Actually nothing came of the nuc, most of the bees disappeared! I moved the rest back into my main hive. If there was a queen, I may have lost her in my poor attempt to get the clump into the nuc. The split seems to be doing well, I found two queen cells on March 27th as well as many drone cells and then one open queen cell on the 4th of April although I could not spot a queen. Looked in yesterday and my friend helping me out thought she saw the queen but no sign of new brood yet although it's early for it.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

If they were going to swarm there would be a capped queen cell in there. They would also have been making quite a ruckus

7. Gypsi

Hope they do well