Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve noticed I have a lot of bees on the outside of my hive. Most of them are washboarding. Should I be worried about swarming?

This hive started from a nuc this year and has really taken off.

Any help or thoughts appreciated!!
Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Wood

· Registered
167 Posts
I think they are just hanging out. I have several hives, four out of seven that look just like yours in the photo. Mine are washboarding also and a lot just cover the face of the hive. It's hot here,in the high 80* F. Also,I treated with Formic Pro a little over a week ago so I have the bottom entrance reducer fully removed to give them a wide open entrance for added ventilation.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they are just hanging out. I have several hives, four out of seven that look just like yours in the photo. Mine are washboarding also and a lot just cover the face of the hive. It's hot here,in the high 80* F. Also,I treated with Formic Pro a little over a week ago so I have the bottom entrance reducer fully removed to give them a wide open entrance for added ventilation.
Thanks! I appreciate the response. I won’t worry too much about it.

· Registered
167 Posts
For me,there is/was always a worry about swarming. I came into this year with one hive colony and then I bought a Nuc of Saskatraz bees and some other beekeeper gave me one of his swarms. So that now gave me three hive colonies. However,I had built a couple swarm traps over the winter and put them out. I caught 3 swarms in those and gave 2 of them to my neighbor across the road. I also captured two swarms off of my fence post in the pasture so now I am up to 7 hive colonies. Now I am to the same point as you, watching them sun bath on the outside of the box. Ain't it fun?
I like the fancy art work on your hive.

· Administrator
3,726 Posts
it's hot, there is no nectar and they are letting the house bees cure the honey. Mine look like this in the afternoon

· Registered
167 Posts
Hot is right. My pond is down 2 foot. Sure could use some well needed rain here for the crops and the bees. Soy beans are looking good so the bees might have something to fall back on. The Golden Rod is just starting to show some yellow but if we don't get rain, nectar will be slim. The farm market just down the road from me about a mile is growing some good sunflowers.

Reactions: Gypsi

· Registered
21 Posts
See what I mean ? Why aren't those lazy buggers out collecting nectar ?

View attachment 10593

View attachment 10593
There probably is no nectar right now. Be patient. You should have late blooming plants soon and they will be busy. Being outside might also mean that they are HOT! Just think about getting into your car after it has been sitting in the sun for a few hours. HOT, right? If you have some plywood that you could lean against the West side especially that would help deflect some of the sun. And maybe use the same technique on the East side as well. See if that helps. We'll still have many hot days for a couple of months in Indiana and Ohio.

· Registered
96 Posts
Bearding is normal in high temps, I tried opening an upper vent and it did not change the behavior.
Hot and high humidity, the not busy bees will move out of the way of hive ventilation and collect around and under the entrance.
When the bugs let me, I also enjoy an evening lounging on the porch...

If your weather has been anything like mine they are still bearding at 9pm

· Registered
167 Posts
I made visors for mine and it seems to help when the sun is high and hot. Be nice if I could keep them on for Winter but I think they would interfere with my Beecozy insulation.

Plant Apiary Tree Land lot Grass

· Administrator
3,726 Posts
I sometimes put a big piece of plywood on the roof of my hive and anchor with a big rock, but not if rain or high wind expected. I am not ambitious enough to build visors. I need to check for brood this afternoon and maybe treat for mites.

· Registered
82 Posts

View attachment 10593
My bees were having a little beard the other day, and it's late spring ( what i call sprummer). They did not swarm, but they probably sensed that it was about to rain and then rained for the next 5 days. Even though it's still too cold to open the hive i wouldn't put swarming past them so that's why I made my swarm attractant. time will tell...

· Registered
167 Posts
My bees were having a little beard the other day, and it's late spring ( what i call sprummer). They did not swarm, but they probably sensed that it was about to rain and then rained for the next 5 days. Even though it's still too cold to open the hive i wouldn't put swarming past them so that's why I made my swarm attractant. time will tell...
I had several traps set out around the tree lines. Some with plain old lemon grass oil and a few with the commercial Swarm Commander. They never touched the Swarm Commander but were all over the Lemon Grass oil. I scratched my head on that one because I heard Swarm Commander was great stuff.

· Registered
82 Posts
I had several traps set out around the tree lines. Some with plain old lemon grass oil and a few with the commercial Swarm Commander. They never touched the Swarm Commander but were all over the Lemon Grass oil. I scratched my head on that one because I heard Swarm Commander was great stuff.
interesting.... that mix I made up for my swarm trap, as said used what what was on hand but the mandarin was the most dominantly deliciously fragrant note. I wonder if its a citrus thing? any way im going to get some lemongrass oil. I have heard same opinion elsewhere about swarm commander- that its ineffective
although it did have the citrus terpene in it too D- limonene which is quite fragrant

· Registered
167 Posts
interesting.... that mix I made up for my swarm trap, as said used what what was on hand but the mandarin was the most dominantly deliciously fragrant note. I wonder if its a citrus thing? any way im going to get some lemongrass oil. I have heard same opinion elsewhere about swarm commander- that its ineffective
although it did have the citrus terpene in it too D- limonene which is quite fragrant
I found my Lemon Grass oil in a health food store.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts