Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think they are just hanging out. I have several hives, four out of seven that look just like yours in the photo. Mine are washboarding also and a lot just cover the face of the hive. It's hot here,in the high 80* F. Also,I treated with Formic Pro a little over a week ago so I have the bottom entrance reducer fully removed to give them a wide open entrance for added ventilation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For me,there is/was always a worry about swarming. I came into this year with one hive colony and then I bought a Nuc of Saskatraz bees and some other beekeeper gave me one of his swarms. So that now gave me three hive colonies. However,I had built a couple swarm traps over the winter and put them out. I caught 3 swarms in those and gave 2 of them to my neighbor across the road. I also captured two swarms off of my fence post in the pasture so now I am up to 7 hive colonies. Now I am to the same point as you, watching them sun bath on the outside of the box. Ain't it fun?
I like the fancy art work on your hive.

·
Registered
148 Posts
See what I mean ? Why aren't those lazy buggers out collecting nectar ?

Plant Apiary Vegetation Beehive Natural material

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hot is right. My pond is down 2 foot. Sure could use some well needed rain here for the crops and the bees. Soy beans are looking good so the bees might have something to fall back on. The Golden Rod is just starting to show some yellow but if we don't get rain, nectar will be slim. The farm market just down the road from me about a mile is growing some good sunflowers.

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
148 Posts
I made visors for mine and it seems to help when the sun is high and hot. Be nice if I could keep them on for Winter but I think they would interfere with my Beecozy insulation.

Plant Apiary Tree Land lot Grass

Reactions: Gypsi
1 - 5 of 5 Posts