bees removed from new york

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by riverrat, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It says he started with 1 hive a couple years ago and they multiplied to 45. I want to hire him to work my bees. I could get rich quick if I could raise bees like that.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Also says the bees were in poor condition, too heavily robbed. But that MUST have been a recent event.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HAHA that is just what I was thinking there Iddee!! We need to get him over on the forum, anybody know Manderin?!?! He sure did have some very nice looking wooden ware for sure. I wonder if it will be for sale any time soon?:wink:

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That was my second thought. (the first thought was too bad for those bees)

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I wonder how it went during the raid and confiscation... "Hey these bees are in very poor condition. I'm a beekeeper, let me just take these sickly bees off your hands for you and try to nurse them back to health. I won't even charge you."....... :idea:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think the reported suggest the hives in question averaged 40 pounds per hive and from casual observation of the photos where double deeps. that should work out to about 36 pounds of equipment, 4 pounds of bees and nothing else.

although I know the idea of starving a profit into something has some appeal to some folks these day this strategy (destined for collapse and eventual failure) sounds a bit cruel and inhumane to me.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

They claim there are 3 million bees. Who counted them? or are they just estimating? Then they claim that 45 hives average 40 lbs each. So which is it are their bees or not?

From one to 45 hives in two years. at best this is a ton of boxes with nearly nothing in them.

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Dont expect reporters with no knowledge of the item to get the figures correct! The story appeals to the government persecution complex but if you consider the rights of neighbors and public at large, I think think the number of hives and location did need some intervention.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

I still laugh whenever I see screaming headlines like "20,000 bees removed from woman's home!!"...like that is a huge shocking unheard of thing. When are people going to realize that swarms and colonies contain thousands of bees normally, and that bees living in wall crevices is not an amazing event from a horror movie?

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Probably never. As long as sensational headlines sell papers and news programs, bees will be sensationalized.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I can think of 20 really important things any decent newspaper or media outlet should report on that they don't even touch. Sensation sells.