Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went into my garage and it was buzzing with honey bees. Of course it seemed like a lot, so I closed the doors and left it till today to deal with. When I went out into the dark garage I found that the open bag of rock salt I use in the winter was full of bees. I took the bag outside. I googled it and sure enough there is evidencwe of bees needing salt. I just wondered if anyone else as experienced this.

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
no, but I haven't been looking for it either. Interesting

One thing to consider is that moisture accumulates on salt. How dry is it where you are, and where is the bee's water source.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been pretty dry. there are many bees at my wifes bird bath, so many at times we can't fill it. It is fun to watch them land on the edge and walk down to the edge, then fly away towards the hives. I still have a few bees in the garage. If I leave all te doors closed they seem to accumulate, as if they can get in but can't figure out how to get out. As soon as I open the garage door they fly out, so I don't keep the doors closed. I have moved the rock salt bag out and closed it tightly, so now I don't know why they are coming in. I cannot see where they are congregating, they are just flying around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yesterday I went into my garage and it was buzzing with honey bees. Of course it seemed like a lot, so I closed the doors and left it till today to deal with. When I went out into the dark garage I found that the open bag of rock salt I use in the winter was full of bees. I took the bag outside. I googled it and sure enough there is evidencwe of bees needing salt. I just wondered if anyone else as experienced this.
I agree with the forum
I would throw a little rock salt into a birdbath near your garage, rocks, marbles or i use corks keep them from drowning.
Chlorine tablets work well too (as salt)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts