bees still flying daily in kansas

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Nov 24, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Here it is thanksgiving Nov 24th in Kansas and the girls are flying. Seams it has been this way for the last few years and every year I worry if they will make it through the winter since there is not much brood rearing this time of year. The worker bees are out flying every day wearing themselves out in search of nectar and pollen. After all the books say to be successful overwintering bees its best to have young bees going into the winter. Come spring every year I find that I worried for nothing as they made it through yet another winter. So this year as I eat my thanksgiving dinner while watching the bee out looking for one of there own. Im not going to worry and lets see what happens. :D

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Rat:

Instead of going to the couch and falling asleep after dinner during the game, take the book out and read it to the bees.
    This way, they'll know what to do for the winter. :lol:

Mine have been flying alot too, lately, and bringing a bunch of day-glow orange pollen. I don't know where they're getting it from. Several hard frosts killed everything around here-or so I thought.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

they are probly picking up the pollen left that was produced prior to te freeze but I have seen them forage in saw dust while I was out cutting wood in the middle of january

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep , saw bright orange pollen baskets on some of the ladies today here in NC