Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being computor challenged I have been unable to figure out how to post a pdf attachment from an email I received from our Bee Health Advisor. I will continue to try.
The jist of it however is that they are working with bees (currently bumbles and soon honeybees) to be able to use them to distribute beneficial fungi to treat crops (such as strawberries and raspberries from grey mould). As bees leave their "nest" they brush by a "distributor" and as they go from plant to plant they distribute it.
Interesting in that I never thought of honeybees being used in that manner.

[attachment=0:2gljzwv4]Suppression-of-Crop-Pests-by-Bees.pdf[/attachment:2gljzwv4]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other part that puzzled me was "The one-way system prevents the agents from entering the bee hives on the return home with pollen or nectar."
It does not address whether the fungi is beneficial or harmfull to the bees but I would have to think if CAPA were involved they would be monitoring it closely.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That is interresting. I'm not sure I would want to eat honey from hives used for that purpose, but it's still cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts