bees, wasps, and hornet

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bdr56, Jun 18, 2013.

1. bdr56

bdr56 New Member

hi all,

I'm new to the forums and the world of bees!

I am posting because I am planning to make a game about bees, wasps, and hornets. I would like to learn about their daily rituals and routines as well as any possible interactions that could occur should these creatures cross paths. I would like to keep the game realistic so that it can be used as a learning tool but also make it fun with things like battles and attacks.

Do wasps and hornets typically interact with bees? Could anyone direct me to a good learning resource that wouldn't be overwhelming for my purposes?

Thanks for your help!

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

BDR. First, we'll open with a welcome to the forum. :hi:
    You came to a good place to get information from people who have a lot if collective knowledge among them and, best of all, they are willing to share it.
    From my experiences, wasps and hornets generally go their own individual ways----that is, unless they are of the species of wasps that like to eat bees (=nice meaty protein). Here in Israel, by late summer (Sept-Oct) populations of the oriental wasp (Vespa oreintalis) build up and they can be quite a threat to the existence of bee hives in their vicinities. Over the years I have had several hives that were destroyed by the predations of this wasp.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi bdr56, and welcome to the forum.
    are you a beekeeper, or just getting started? or are you just interested in designing a game? ~"so that it can be used as a learning tool but also make it fun with things like battles and attacks."
    where are you located in the US?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

5. bdr56

bdr56 New Member

Thanks for your replies. I am from New York City and I am not a beekeeper. I am much too afraid of bees to ever consider beekeeping as a hobby!

However, I am interested in learning about the behavior of bees and wasps. For some reason, there doesn't seem to be a lot of books on the subject. Most of the books that I have been finding are geared towards children.

For my purposes, the type of bee or wasp does not have to be local to me. I would like to choose the one that I find the most interesting and for which I can also find reliable information about their habits and interactions.

As far as wasps are concerned, I think that I am most interested in aggressive, ill-tempered hunters that are known to attack bees. I have done a little bit of research on wasps and found this great documentary on the Japanese hornet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3io8Ys7KSGY

Is anyone aware of a resource like this which would give me equivalent information about any specific type of bee? It would be great to find a resource like this for bees (DVD, book, or detailed articles).

What type of bees and wasps are most common in my area?

6. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

There is a DVD called Tales From the Hive that I was given years ago when I first got started. Great photography and lots of basic (and some great detail) info of the life of bees, "domesticated" and feral, including predators as wasps, bears, skunks, etc