bees wax lotion recipes

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by pistolpete, Oct 3, 2013.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

This year I got around to rendering by cappings wax. I have a nice pure yellow 2 pound pancake of it. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Since I work with concrete products that really dry out my skin, I thought hand lotion. If anyone has some good recipes to share, I'd appreciate it.

2. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I've been making a lotion with beeswax and shea butter, pistol. I don't really have a recipe "set" yet for my lotion, as I just this year got enough wax to make up a whole bunch. I kind of just toss things into the melting pot for the lotion since it's just for my home use.
    I use about equal parts for some really firm balm for hands (like for working out in the garden). I've also done up some with about 2/3 shea and 1/3 wax + coconut oil that's for more light use.
    From my readings on it, to get a real "lotion" consistency that will pump from a tube, you have to use emulsifiers, so this that I make is a much more balm kinda thing, with the consistency of...cold crisco shortening, and I pour it into an old altoids tin while it's still warm. I found unfilted shea butter online, there were lots of different places selling it, and a lot of regular grocery stores now will likely have coconut oil.

3. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I ended up using a recipe from a book. I used roughly: 3 parts warm water, 3 parts sweet almond oil, 1 part wax, and a bit of vitamin E oil. You heat the wax and the oil in a double boiler and then add it to the water in a blender. It turned out great, but I used lavender essential oil and added about 12 drops when I should have added 5. The stuff has a rather strong smell to it.

I also made some lip balm, roughly equal parts almod oil, honey, and wax. Melt it all together with a few drops of vitamin E oil. It's nice, but the mixture separated a bit while cooling and I have to re-mix it in the containers.