Bees with strong aversion to smoke?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I brought home one of the trapout bait-hives today after the bees had filled it to the point that I don't think another single bee could have fit inside... so naturally I had to add another box right away. When I opened them I puffed one puff of smoke across the top bars to try to get them to stay down and not walk up to the top of the box where I was going to set the next box, and as soon as the smoke hit them, the whole hive went running like I've never seen before and about half the hive exited the front entrance and started bearding on the front. The bees didn't take off and fly and the few that were flying were never in any way aggressive, so I'm wondering what could have made them have such a strong reaction to the smoke? Could it be because they likely don't have any brood right now to stick around for? It's a brand-new queen so I doubt she's started laying yet, though I didn't check for eggs, but I know it hasn't been long enough for her to be able to.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What were you smoking ,er, I mean burning? Either you are right about the brood or they didn't like your fuel.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Same fuel as I always use, sawdust from the boxes and frames I built last winter.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some bees are what is describe as runny (sound like what you are talking about here?). as suggested by Iddee the kind of fuel and how hot the fire is in the smoker can get the bees to running. african bees are often time describes as excessively runny.

I don't think egg laying would have much effect on this behavior. if it did you would reasonable need young larvae (requires lots of attention by nurse bees) and not just eggs (requires no attention by the workers)

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Just a thought being a trap out hive with no brood or stores to protect. May encourage them to beard on the front to get away from the smoke. Also I find bees tend to get runny when you puff a large amount of smoke into the hive. If the hive was a nuc and your smoker was burning real good may be what happened