Bees won't enter honey super

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

At our local Beekeeper meeting last night a guy asked what to do about a problem he had with his bees not drawing comb from the foundation in his honey super. He said they won't even enter it. He said the two brood boxes are "full" without elaborating. He does have a queen excluder in place.

Here are some suggestion he got:

1. Remove the queen excluder.
    2. Turn the queen excluder sideways of the super so the bees have a gap to use. Once they start drawing comb, turn the excluder around to normal position.
    3. Spray the plastic foundation in the honey super with sugar water.
    4. Move the honey super between the brood boxes without the excluder in place.
    5. Move a foundation with comb into the honey super. (He doesn't have any.)
    6. Replace the plastic foundation with 100% beeswax foundation.

I'm interested to know what would you have suggested.

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Remove excluder. They get up there when they need the room. Is there any kind of nectar flow on?

Honey at the top of brood frames acts as a queen excluder. Generally she won't go across honey to get to empty comb. Generally.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My opinion:
    #1 - remove the queen excluder. Bees will not pass through an excluder into a box of undrawn foundation. They won't do it! Once it is well under way to being drawn, then use the excluder.
    #2 - If the honey super is the same size box as his brood chamber, bait the honey super with a couple of frames from the brood chamber (ie: move frames #1 and #10 up, replacing them with frames of foundation).
    #3 - if using plastic foundation, sometimes misting them with a little sugar syrup helps.
    #4 - Using wax foundation would probably work well, however I don't incorporate it myself.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sounds like he got some pretty good advise at the bee meeting

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

My bees would not cross a queen excluder into a super of drawn comb. I now use my excluder as a drain board when uncapping honey. Bees will be bees.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

He has two brood boxes, supers of frames. He can spare one or two combs. If he is running different depths it could be a problem. Good reason to run one size.