Bees wont go in the box.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by w_baker76, Jun 21, 2012.

1. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

I am trying to do my first trap out and it does not seem to be working. I set up a hive box with a frame of brood and some bees. I then put the hive box on a stand so that when the bees came out of the screen funnel they would be at the opening to the box. The bees will not go it and now are getting very mean and stinging people that are not even close to the hive. What have I done wrong?

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like Walt said, you want the opening to your box as close as you can get it to the base of the cone.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The opening of the box needs to be as close to the original hive opening, preferably to where they can just walk right into the hive. The opening of the cone makes no difference where it is at. I have had luck when I could not get the bait hive opening up next to the original opening by making a "bridge" out of a thin strip of wood, kind of funny but they will walk right across it and into the hive.

5. w_baker76

w_baker76 New Member

Thanks for the info. I had my box right up against the wall. I will try to put a photo of what i did on here. Thanks to all for the help.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If the trap out is close or you can have someone else look at it for you and give a report back...........after dark see if the bees are bearding on the outside at the base of the cone, if they are not bearding then they are going inside the hive. They will be a little pissy for the first day or two since they are queenless, things should settle down after about three or four days.