bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Isn't a putty knife similar to a hive tool? Can you use household items as tools?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if going to do a top bar I would buy a 3lb package in the spring or get on a swarm list hoping to pick up a swarm

3. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Ok, thanks...i'll take my time and build a nice top bar then order 3lbs in the spring. Appreciate the help

4. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

When i finish my hive and order these bees will they take to it, do you guys have any info as to help them make it their home.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You dump them in, install the queen, and hope. Most times they stay, now and then they don't. That's another reason for starting with two. If one doesn't make it, you can split the other and have two again.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Usually people order and pay for their bees ahead of time, like sometime in December-February. Then the bees arrive in April/May depending on your location. If you wait til spring to order, you may run out of luck. ;)

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Oh ok thanks that helps a lot i would have been out of luck, thank you

8. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Bee help

I'm makingn a top bar hive now, will be my first one. I'm looking for what type of bee to get and where to get it. I here you have to order early to get some. Will a 3lb. be good for a 36" long Top Bar? thanks

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip...
    I'm looking for what type of bee to get and where to get it.

check out the kinds and map attached to the following web site..
    http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/

If you were here I would recommend some kind of Italian. At your location I suspect a New World Carnolian would be more in order.

11. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Yo, does it reallt cost 100 plus 45 dollars to get your bees? Wow

12. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

If you were looking at the Glenn Apiaries site, that might be the price just for a queen- that's ONE bee. You can probably find yourself a 3 lb. package for around that price, maybe a bit less.

Shop around, you may find a source close to you where you can pick up and avoid shipping. They may even be more acclimated to your climate. Just be wary of a price that seems too good to be true, and use a reputable breeder.

13. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Wow, i just wanted to start having more bees around maybe watch them now and again from the observaton window i put on the hive. I decided to build my own so that i could avaiov buying the hive and now the bees are expensive too. Thats what happens when you get to exited i guess, took in account everything but bee costs, just figured it be cheap i guess. Thanks

14. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Umm, real quick here i guess, is a 20 feet redius around my hive a good distance? I don't think anyone will goes even that close but would 20 feet all around be good? thanks

15. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

16. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Woodsman,
    If you haven't already, get yourself a basic beekeeping book, and read it through. (Beekeeping for Dummies, Roger Morse's New Complete Guide to Beekeeping, Barefoot Beekeeper, etc. would do) Just be aware that depending on how things go for you, there could be many more costs involved than the bees. There can be A LOT of feeding involved, whatever protective gear you get, possibly medications if you're so inclined, or maybe even replacing your bees next year if they don't make it. The good news is you've got plenty of time before next spring to figure out what you're doing. Also, bees are pretty adaptable, as long as you don't make any BIG mistakes (that being said, I've made a couple of doosies already).

Also, I'll repeat what I'm sure was mentioned earlier, it's a very good idea to start with at least two hives (of whatever style) so that you can use one to support the other, you can compare (at least a little) do get an idea of what "normal" is, and you more than double your chances of coming through the winter with some live bees.

17. riverrat

riverrat New Member

be careful where you put the observation window in the hive and make sure you put a cover over the opening to block out the light. The window in it will act as a magnifying glass and over heart the bees if your not careful. My observation window is the front entrance to the hive one can tell a lot about what is going on inside the hive by simply watching the bees aat the entrance and the top cover which I remove when needed

18. the kid

the kid New Member

when you order a 2 or 3 pound package ,, that will include a queen , so do not order a 2 or 3 pound package and a queen .. as you will have a queen and no place to put her .... try and find a beekeep around you , call a bee club ,, in your area ,, you may find the price of a package will be less if you join a bee club and order with them ... as they will get a better price by ordering more packages at a time ..

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

the cheapest way to obtain bees and a queen is to catch a swarm next spring.

20. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

how do you catch a swarm?