bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

First you need to find one, I advertise on several bee forums, craigs list, pest control companies, word of mouth and other places.

Hopefully the first swarm you can get will be an easy one, hanging on a low branch.

Catching swarms are kind of all the same but different also, it all depends on where they are at.

Pretty much move them into your equipment or a box to transport them to your yard and transfer them into your equipment.

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

A putty knife will break, it's not made for prying heavy propolis-glued things apart. A decent hive tool is about $5 and will last a lifetime.
    http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=533
    Hive tools are very sturdy and will not break like a putty knife will.

Bare minimum stuff you will need: a smoker, a hive tool, and a veil for your head. Many people get by without gloves, but you can use dishwashing gloves if you don't want to spend much.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Omie snip:
    Hive tools are very sturdy

tecumseh:
    hive tools are really only very old time/old school paint scrapers. and yes they scrape paint very well. I can sometime find a 'hive tool' in one of those mom and pop hardware store here. sometime the total $ price is even cheaper than I can buy one from a bee supply house when I consider freight. you likely will need more than 1 since one is bound to get lost. when they are new paint a bright color, that way they are easier to find when lost.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Hows That work I cant make one last half way thru a season without losing it so I buy them 5 at a time

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I leave old disc mower blades laying around where my hives are, they have a shape edge and are hardened steel. Just the right size for popping hive boxes apart, plus I never loose them.

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

lol! I didn't mean if you LOSE them! ;D

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member