BEES

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by JUDELT, Feb 15, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Hi everyone, I finally have beehives with bees,too. A local beekeeper is selling his 100 plus hives and getting out of the business. He sold me 4 hives and we set them up this evening. i am so excited!

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great news, good luck

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thats great, best of luck. Jim

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I know your excitement! Yay!

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Fantastic! Pull up a lawn chait next to them so you can watch them come and go. It's as good as sitting in front of a fire and watching it burn.

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the club. The itch you had before will get a lot worse. :)

Your post will stir a lot of member memories.

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Just remember this JUDELT, you're already doing better than I did starting out... I managed to kill my first hive on the very first day. I swear it musta been some sort of Olympic record... man was it ever heartbreaking when it happened though.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    He sold me 4 hives

tecumseh:
    a good number with which to start. dr larry conner recently wrote in one of his journal articles that new bee keepers loose about 2/3 (68% being the number I recall) of their hives in year one. doing the math/probability thingee this means that 2/3 of all new beekeepers who started out with one hive had 0 hives at the beginning of year two.

good luck with you new adventure...

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations JUDELT! :yahoo:

Another thought might be to see what else this retiring keep has to sell that you may make use of. I realize that buying the hives themselves is a large investment but if you can pick up an extra suit, or veil, smoker, etc. for a good price............................?

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and congratulations. You need to start reading everything you can get your hands on. I never realized there were as many bee books as there are until I started reading. Tons of good info out there (even broken down for us new folks to understand!) And the people here on this forum are A-1! Good luck! :D

13. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Yes, I have een outside 3 times to watch them inbetween rain showers! even tho it is cloudy, but 64degrees, there are a few flying around! I was also told that two of the hives have lots of honey in them! Larry has been sick and unable to get the honey last fall so there is probably extra honey in each! Ican hardly wait for a warm, sunny day to get the smoker and take a look! And yes, he has other equipment that I was interested and will see him again soon!

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOO HOO :yahoo: BEES!!

good luck with them!

The best thing you could get from the retiring beek is his knowledge, if he is close enough to you ask if he would mentor you a little.

15. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Yes, he is about 30 mts. away. I got info overload seeing him twice yesterday and he said call, come anytime and he will help all he can! This bee keeping thing is so much fun!