Beeswax as shoe/boot sealer

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by 100 TD, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

A commercial boot sealer used in cold or wet climates is Sno-Seal, which is made from beeswax. I don't know what else is in it, but I expect beeswax by itself could be used. Perhaps something else could be mixed with it to soften it a bit. I place my boots in the oven and get them nice and hot and rub the commercial product on and it melts and gets absorbed by the leather. Perhaps something like efmesch's furniture polish recipe could be used?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

bees wax by itself would bee too hard and crack when you flexed your boots or got into the cold weather. Not sure what it is cut with but surely some type of petroleum product.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My guess would be neet's foot oil. but it's only a guess.

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

There are lots of recipes for this sort of thing online. A quick search got these...hope one of them works well for you.

Leather Waterproofing

4 oz. beeswax
    4 oz. resin or rosin (music stores carry)
    1 pint vegetable oil

Melt the solids in the oil, and apply while warm.

Waterproof & Leather Softener

1 oz. (weight) beeswax
    8 oz/ (weight) petroleum jelly

Melt the ingredients in a microwave or double boiler. Brush the hot mixture onto the leather and allow it to penetrate. If possible, place the item in hot sun. Polish the leather with a cloth to remove excess waterproofing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_pce3kvNw

http://www.ehow.com/how_7230061_homemad ... ector.html

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

For Sno-Seal, which I usually forget to apply until the weather is cold, I smear it on as well as possible, then use a hair dryer to melt it in. Works great!

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

7. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Thanks Mama beek for the boot seal recipe,I've got a pair of supposedly waterproof snake boots I use for archery season(when the snakes are thick here in Fla.) that leak,if this just slows it down would be great. :goodpost:

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

You're welcome Crackerbee.... this kind of thing is right up my alley so to speak. Baby Beek and I are all the time looking for useful recipes and these will be great with 3 fellers in the house always needing something or other waterproofed.