Beeswax candle maker

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by ItsJustMe, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Hello everyone,
    Im new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice or gain some understanding.
    Im not a beekeeper but highly respect all that are.
    I am a new candle maker that only uses 100 % beeswax no addtives scents or colors even my wicks are pure hemp soaked in beeswax.
    My question is once I burn my candles the wax pool turns to a milk chocolate or darker color once cooled the rest of the candle remains the Carmel color.
    Is this normal.?
    I have checked and double checked with my beeswax supplier to make sure the purity of the beeswax I trust him.
    The wax is clean triple filtered so I'm not sure if this is normal or I'm doing something wrong.
    I started making this candles for people that have asthma and they love them so I want to be able to explain the darker wax pool any understanding would be very appreciated.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I dont know about the brown, what color are your hemp wicks? , but anything that burns gives off smoke or vapor not good for anyone with asthma I would think...

3. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

That' why I'm so puzzled about the discoloration there not smoking and those that have the candles can' live with out them.
    One in paricular goes into her room and lights the candle to clean the air and sleeps so much better she claims.
    She has asth

4. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Asthma.
    The thing that is strange is that my small wicks don' change color of wax pool no matter how long they burn or pool but the bigger wicks for a larger 3 inch candle discolor the pool to a dark chocolate.
    Same company and brand just a different diameter of hemp.
    I've read a few articles about getting the wax to hot but even then there was no change in color I'm truly puzzled.
    Thanks for the reply roadkillbobb.

5. roadkillbobb

sounds if the color from the hemp wicks is dissolving in the wax, it may not show in the puddle but maybe when air gets to it and cools the color shows up...try different wicks and see if the browning continues, if not and only the larger hemp wicks I would contact manufacture and ask them if they color or dye the wicks..

6. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow that is very interesting. Post what you find out please?

8. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Merry Christmas to all,
    Update after much much research in which I kept coming up scratching my head,
    My beautiful wife also searching relentlessly came across an article that briefly mentioned that as"
    The convection current created, via combustion when the candle burns it draws contaminants to the flame where they are deposited into the molten wax surrounding the wick. This causes the wax to darken."
    This seems to be a reasonable explaination as to wax pool darkening. For those of you that want to sell your candles and have a desire to learn all you can about your products like me.
    Also, if you are using a hemp wick you might consider as I have, finding a reputable supplier that is knowledgable as I have recently switched from a polished hemp twine to unpolished being all polished hemp twine is polished using some of oil or starch.
    Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that it was the wick I have tested 5 plus candles with unpolished 100 % hemp twine and still getting darkening wax pool.
    I am still keeping an open mind on this if anyone has a more concrete explanation.
    Thank you all very much for all you time
    Sincerely,
    And Again Merry Christmas.

9. roadkillbobb

I have burned alot of candles from standard wax of many colors and have not had any darkening of the wax that you are getting, why dont you try making a candle out of regular wax with your wicks and see if the wax darkens...as the mystery grows...

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

that is a good idea actually. and since I have accumulated some beautifully clear yellow beeswax, not tan or almond, I'm waiting for results before I make a single candle

11. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Well it's late so I will keep it short,
    My wife and I took some candles and blocks to a very big beekeeping company here in California.
    Before I showed them my product I explained the darkening and before I could finish the dismissed it saying I wasn't using pure beeswax.
    So I went out to the car a grabbed a couple of blocks of my wax and they instantly said that is pure beeswax then I showed them my candles and you guessed it no one could figure out why this was happening.
    I showed them my wicks both types and explained they both are darkening my pools.
    They also have candles for sale there and have never had this problem at least 4 employees some of them the actual candle makers were stumped.
    This is so frustrating I have tested 20 to 30 candles in the last week here's what I'm thinking.
    In one test I double wicked a 3 x 7 pillar and it turned the darkest funny thing is the wicking was my 3mm and that wick doesn't usually darken but very slightly.
    It seems as if the darkening is coming from the bottom of the wicks up through the pool instantly.
    I know it's the wicking but why ? What changed .
    I open or loosen the wick then soak in beeswax this creates a bigger wick so my pool can reach desired width , but for some reason it is causing or is the reason I'm getting darkening pools ugh.
    They were nice enough to give me some cotton wicking to try.
    The results are with the cotton wicks no darkening ,BUT as I already knew it is the biggest diameter cotton wick that I know of and it starts to pool but can't get anywhere close to the proper width for a three inch candle ALSO it weekens after 3 to 4 hours.
    This just causes a tunneling effect .
    As opposed to a proper sized pool that will burn longer, but you all know that.
    I can burn and like to burn candles for 8 to 12 hours at a time I have no problem doing that with my candles.
    I'm going to just not open up the wick as much as I have and see if I can get enough width of the pool to function and not darken so much.
    Still tryng to work this all out thanks for listening, So much for keeping it short LOL.

12. roadkillbobb

now that you narrowed it down to the hemp wicks, who makes them? why dont you contact the company and either complain or find out why its happening...do they bleach the hemp wicks to get rid of any color that can cause the dark pooling? can you post pictures of the wicks you are having a problem with?..

13. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Well we are not sure as to why the hemp wicks are darkening the wax pool
    I have been in communications with both hemp suppliers and both fanatically state there are no additives in the unpolished hemp what so ever.
    It is 100 pure hemp twine.
    I have again contacted my main supplier to check for anything that my have been used to hold tight the twine even though he has already stated nothing has been added.
    My own research suggests they wet spin the twine so ?
    I' m still hoping someone will see the post and will or can explain this oddity.
    Roadkillbobb I know you mentioned color from wicking the wicking is a almost off colored white,
    But a beekeeper that I have talked to thought it my be the naturaul oils that are in the wick.
    As far as pictures I'm not very computer savvy I have tried to include pictures with no success .
    I will try again

14. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

I will ask if they bleach their product.
    That's a great question

15. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Hey roadkillbobb,
    What is your thoughts on why when unwinding or loosening the wick it causes more darkening
    And instant darkening you can see it as it is burning, like its coming up through the bottom of the wick.
    ? But only when loosening can you see it happening.

16. roadkillbobb

to load pictures just hit the upload a file bar at the lower right of the page...have you tried other natural wicks to see if they discolor the wax?

17. roadkillbobb

probably when loosening the wick you let whatever oils are in the wick to come out quicker than if you kept it tight and the outer fibers hold back the oil, it almost sounds like they use a natural oil from the hemp to hold the fibers of the wick together..I would experiment a little and take some of your wicks and boil them in water and see what oils or substances float to the surface of the water..then you can dry the wicks out and use melted bees wax to stiffen them up and make a candle and see if that candle wax stays clear..

18. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

Wow
    That's a great idea

19. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe New Member

20171220_092223.jpg 20171220_092223.jpg ok here is a picture
    The one almost finished burning is the darkest the one next to it as a recent test candle.
    Since all this testing keeping the wicks tight has helped. I was just asked by one of my customers for a reorder.
    This will be her third candle she swears it is helping her sleep she has asthma
    So I'm feeling confident the darkening hasn't hurt the integrity of the candle.

20. roadkillbobb

being that the unburned wicks are so dark in color, ill put my money thats were the dark wax is coming from..