Beeswax foundation (updated 10-16-2011)

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Re: Beeswax foundation

That's exactly right! In the top super they started on the left and in the bottom super they started on the right. That's very interesting that your bees did that also. I mentioned my situation to 3 local beekeepers and none of them had ever seen their bees do that.

Thanks for the advice on swapping sides. I may try that next inspection.

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Re: Beeswax foundation

I carried some sugar water to the hives today and while there, eased the top off of one hive that I had put all beeswax foundation in last week. They have started drawing comb on one frame so that's an improvement over the way it was with all plastic foundation.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Re: Beeswax foundation (updated 6-16-2011)

I thought they might be on one side or the other. The way I have my hived aligned, all my bees end up on the Northeast side of the hive (half of hives face Southeast, other half face Northwest). Have you noticed the same thing?

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Both of my hives face south and in both hives they have started on the west side of each of them, now that I've got only one honey super per hive. When I had two honey supers on one of the hives, they started on the west side on the top super and the east side on the bottom super.

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Earlier in this thread (post # 11) I showed what I decided to do when I didn't have the right stuff to convert from plastic to 100% beeswax foundation. It has worked out well but for these two frames. They are both on the left side (if I'm facing south) of the hive. All the other have been capped approximately 90% honey.

The bees are working on two others in similar shape.

Attached Files:

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

More photos of the 100% beeswax foundation referred to above.

Attached Files:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the bees are removing wax to use in other places. quite common for frames with primarily foundation (sometime pulled just a bit) at the end of the season. I suspect the seasonality of this kind of behavior is the results of few young bees to produce necessary wax + propolis <as winter approaches.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will complete them in spring, when the flow returns.