Beetle larvae or queen bee larvae

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bergfarm, May 14, 2014.

1. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

Hi. I did a hive inspection today and noticed a large white larvae. I am not sure if it is beetle larvae or queen bee larvae. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

Queen bee larvae

Hi. I did some research on the internet and realized they are queen bee larvae. I am worried because i accidentally destroyed some. Do you think my hive is without a queen or it is going to swarm? It seems like there are a lot of bees. When it is in the 80's there are a lot of bees hanging out on the outside. This is my second year with this hive. I have 3 boxes on it. I only searched the top 2. I didn't go into the bottom one yet. Do you think i should recheck it for the original queen to see if she is still there or wait to see what happens? I have an empty hive next to this one (about 2 feet away) i was hoping to catch a swarm. If my hive swarms do u think they will go into the empty hive? Any help would be great. Thanks

3. lecram

lecram New Member

It looks like worker larvae to me, queen cell is much larger and pointing straight down.

4. lecram

lecram New Member

Worker or drone larvae

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

they are drone cells, seems like almost all hives like to put the drone cells between the upper and lower frames.

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

Yes, I agree. The tip off is the roundish end (like the round end of a .22 shell) shown on the unopened cells next to the drone larva. They are drone cells too. :)