Beetle Swatter

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by blueblood, Feb 26, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It looks interesting. Give us a report after you've used it. :wink:

I remember having masonite siding on the house I grew up in. I'm sure this is different somehow.

I went to the checkout to see what the shipping was:

[TABLE="width: 98%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: plaintext, colspan: 2, align: right"]Subtotal:
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: plaintext, width: 11%, align: right"]$2.95
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: plaintext, colspan: 2, align: right"](National,State and Local taxes) Tax:
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: plaintext, width: 11%, align: right"]$0.00
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: plaintext, colspan: 2"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: plaintextbold, align: right"]Current ship time for instock items is 7-10 business days:
    PARCEL SERVICE - RESIDENTIAL GROUND SERVICE $13.40
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: plaintext, width: 10, align: right"]Shipping:
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: plaintext, width: 11%, align: right"]$13.40
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I believe I'll pass.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

For the cost of shipping you could build yourself 100 of them. 2-4" squares of 1/8" paneling some 5 gallon paint sticks from the paint store and some Velcro and make your own.
    Cut the 2-4" squares any 1/8" paneling would work. Rip the paint stick in 2 pieces, glue and staple one panel to the stick thru the center flush with the front. Staple and glue Velcro hook side along both sides and along back till it tight against the paint stick. Staple and glue Velcro loop side on the other piece of 1/8" panel leaving a space for the paint stick. let the Velcro hold it together and it can be taken apart to clean out the dead beetles.
    The panels could be cut with a utility knife and a hand stapler is all that is needed to hold the pieces in place till the glue dries.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow, thanks Apis!

Greg, I wouldn't pay the shipping either...I am having a little boycott currently with major bee supply companies because of their absolutely outrageously and overly priced shipping. I can honesty say the only one that has any love from me is MannLake because they offer free shipping all the time over $100 on most items. I don't think many others can say they do that...

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I get my stuff from Mann Lake, also. Can't beat the shipping rate and I've been happy with what I've received for the most part. Only issue that I've really had was on my last order of frames & foundation. Foundation was slightly over sized and had to be trimmed to keep it from bowing out of the frame. May have been a bigger problem if I had 100 hives, but it was just a minor irritation for me.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have had some of the same problem here ablanton with the Dadant rippled wired foundation. it is not with each and every sheet but about 1 in 10 is about 1/8 of an inch to wide and has to be trimmed. the worst part is some of this was for the bee club and some folks there are incapable of either taking instruction or recognizing problems and dealing with them when they occur.

at $4 per gallon I am not certain who would expect cheap shipping rates. I have witnessed this before and the avarice of the oil folks will be the undoing of us all. agriculture is highly dependent on fossil fuels and each and every prior spike in fuel cost invariable leads to the bankruptcy of agricultural concerns with bee keepers being especially exposed. recently I priced out boxes in pallet load quantity and the cheapest price on delivery was about $200 per pallet.... I think that comes out to about $5000 per truck load.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Shipping:
    40 - 1 pound pollen patties @ $2.05 each = $82
    Add shipping of ---------------------------$25.99
    Harmonized tax on the shipping ------------$ 3.90
    Total ------------------------------------$111.89 (those patties now cost me $2.80 a piece)
    What are you going to do?