beetle traps

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by merrysee, Jun 27, 2012.

1. merrysee

merrysee New Member

Hi there!
    I am in Virginia and recently noticed some beetles in the hive. I ordered some traps a week ago but they havent shipped yet. I am concerned and would like any alternative to beetle traps in order to get rid of them or any name of supplier that you may know selling traps. Thanks ever so much for your time.
    Mary

2. Tia

Tia New Member

Besides chemicals (which I don't approve of), the only things I know of are a strong hive or. . .chickens. I have both. There's a terrible SHB problem in my area and I don't think I'll ever be rid of them, but between my bees keeping the adults trapped and the chickens gobbling up the larva that drop through the screened bottom board to the ground, I'm having a pretty good year with very little worries about SHB ruining my honey.

3. RSWOODBEE

RSWOODBEE New Member

I'm running screen bottoms with a tray under with used cooking oil in them its seems to be working pretty well for me.Just a couple seen up in the hive.

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Got mine from www.beetlejail.com a while back. Reasonably priced, quick delivery, & they seem to be working well.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had many beetles when the hives were in the shade. They all but disappeared when I moved the hives to full sun.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I really think Iddee runs around his hives naked and scares the be-jesus out of them poor small hive beetles. Taunts the poor little bug... yep me things OLD Iddee is a regular small hive beetle terrorist.

Iddee's small hive beetles have now flown all the way to Virginia and are now in your own hives.

on a more practical note... sunshine and/or minimum shade helps... keeping the vegetation from around a hive helps... keeping the hive robust and growing helps... minimizing any excess space helps... <as you might suspect I am not a big promoter of small hive beetle traps.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

WHERE'S DR. BUZZ. I think Tec has had a heat stroke and needs medical attention. :shock:

Although I will use traps, chemicals, or whatever I feel will save the hives, I prefer passive treatments where feasible. The fewer foreign substances in the hive, the better I like it.

8. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

go to youtube and search for the fatbeeman beetle trap. it's easy and fast and cheap. the other home-made trap i use is one of those thin cd cases and bait. i break a larger opening for the beetles to enter and bait it with the roach/ant bait that comes in a tube. close the case and put in on top of the hive. empty and refill it as needed. cleared up all my beetles.

9. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

My hives are in full sun and still have beetles, it depends where you are, and I'm downunder, and my friend down the road has all his hives in the sun and beetles there as well, he has built many versions of baseboard traps with cooking oil trays below and they work well, I'm using his trap, the only problem here in OZ is getting the right sized mesh, what you guys call #6 I believe. Haven't found it in galvanized mesh yet, have some in stainless but expensive, but it works.
    I had my hive near a river and was infested with SHB last summer(winter her now) but in my current location they are here but not too bad, but we want to reduce their numbers in the hive as much as possible.

10. rail

rail New Member

I use the BeetleBlaster and it works great. I like the mini BettleBlaster installed in each brood chamber of a hive.

My inner covers are turned upside down, this has helped greatly!

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

At my bee club's education day, I heard a guest speaker,from Texas,suggest using an old CD case with a piece of a pear for a lure. You break a couple of tines from the center of the CD case, insert some pear and probably a little oil. Place this in the center of the top brood box, laying it flat on the tops of the frames. I am assuming you remove the top of the CD case. I don't think you would need it. He said SHB love pears. I have been prepared to try this, but since I moved my hives to a sunnier location, I haven't had the need yet. I can imagine the propolis!

12. jewelant

jewelant New Member

I realize that some remedies are not expedient for commercial beekeepers due to the expense and logistics. I’m a backyard beekeeper, so am working at this from a different situation so bear with me.

I lost four hives last week and it TOOK a week to clean up the mess with a power washer and bleach. My one remaining hive has a queen, a new hive and frames, and is starting over in JULY for goodness sake. Recently they discovered the small hive beetle on yet another Hawaiian island. BUT people are working on solutions and inventions to contain the problem. I ordered some predatory nematodes for the soil under my hive area, and dusted with the varroa mite remedy powdered sugar, which angers the bees to chase beetles also. Some of my other solutions, born of observation of what was left:
    http://jewelant.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/small-hive-beetle-help/

13. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I've seen those little suckers fly.:shock: It seems that no matter what you do they can smell a hive from a state away. I have the same problem. The first time I ever saw them I freaked out, but since have come to the conclusion that taking steps to keep them in check will just have to be part of the routine.