Beetle

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Is this a hive beetle?? How can I naturally treat my hive if it is? ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1470851345.057316.jpg ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1470851354.033964.jpg

2. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

My bees come from local non treated survivor bees. Id like to treat them naturally

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

That is what they are, do you have a screen on the bottom, if so either set you hive on some black poly, a good size or get some die. earth and put it under the hive to stop them from reproduction.

‚ÄčKen

4. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I have a screened bottom diematacious earth on ground? Will it kill my bees that land down there? They seem to go on the ground under hive at times. Some of them have gotten into the grease I used on the legs to stop the ants and they're dying :(. Diff subject tho. The die will be ok? Will that control the beetle population? Mites too?

5. camero7

camero7 Member

There are some commercial beetle traps available. A lot of beekeepers use swifter pads, place them on the top bars and the beetles hide in them, get caught and die.

6. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Swifter pads? Do the beetles go intop of the bars? They r pretty jammed together

7. camero7

camero7 Member

leave a small gap. the bees will chase them up there. Just make it too small for the bees to get up there too.

8. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I use a Freeman beetle trap under my screened bottom board in a langstroth hive which works pretty if they start getting bad. I also have started using a trap in the hive that hangs on the side of a frame tucked in the back where they tend to gather. It was been working okay. They say nematodes work good in the ground to eat the larvae too, but I have not tried this myself. I have been battling them a ton this year. Full sunlight on your hive is a good preventative measure. I have read from others that they have noticed a significant difference with the hives thet are stationed under specific trees as well but not sure if it is the shade they provide or something else about the tree.

9. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Camero, what is a swifter pad? What is this I read about dryer sheets too?

10. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Swiffer pads are a pad for a brand name cleaning mop for floors. I would not recommend the dryer sheets as they contain chemicals.

11. camero7

camero7 Member

Beep, listen to Buzzed. Much more experience with beetles than I have.

12. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

13. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Buzzed so just put swiffer pads on the top bars and leave some small space for them?

14. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I also saw them carrying stringy white stuff .. Maybe larve ???! And I was looking into it seeing that it could be from the beetle or EFB or some other disease. I do see what looks like little tiny white mites at the viewing window none on the bees tho. I read there could be too much space. I took away the empty bar I took honey from and I closed an entrance. I hope it's not too late for them. The stuff they were carrying was stringy white pieces. It didn't look like whole larva at all. Just strings and pieces. I hope it's not some thing I did. I'll buy swiffer pads tomorrow and leave some spaces big enough for beetle but not bee to be trapped into the pads. What else can I do to kill mites and or beetles? I killed two beetles I saw also, they where on the other side of the follower board, not in the actual hive, but the other side of the follower where I keep empty bars. I hope they're taking care of the problem. You think they're ok with just 2 entrance holes instead of 3? I just don't want the space to be the problem that they can't defend them self.

15. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'll watch the fat bee guy soon too. Thank u!

16. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I am completely inexperienced with TBH, but I have been taught that too much space is not a good thing for any pest issues. In a langstroth hive I just place 1 pad at the top box, you may want to just put a couple across the top in a TBH. Always smash every beetle you see. I have also heard of people using a custom vacuum to suck them up, but it takes a little practice not getting the ladies.

17. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Not sure about the "stringy stuff" you are seeing. It may be young larvae from the SHB as they are very small early. If you're not seeing more than a few don't get too worried, but it can get out of hand quickly. Any crack or crevice that the bees can't get to in the hive is an open spot for SHB to lay eggs. If you have an opportunity to fill any voids with melted wax or propolis do it to reduce those spaces.

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

white stringy stuff could be wax moth strings they are pulling off, if they had too much space before