Beeyard Fun Season 2012

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverbee, Apr 11, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

I enjoy sharing stories with beekeepers about escapades in the bee yard.
    I would enjoy starting a thread for our bee season this year, for all the mishaps and funnies that occur during this bee season in our bee yards or while working our bees....whether you are a new keeper or an experienced keeper, we will all have some great funny stories to tell going forward. My friends and my family still don’t quite get the humor of Murphy’s Law in keeping bees. Some of the laughter helps another keep. Share it here!

I couldn’t help post this. Easter Sunday I am working bees. I placed some frames of foundation in supers for a couple of hives to draw out. I sometimes use a small pressure type pump sprayer filled with sugar syrup to spray the waxed plastic foundation. I set the super on the first hive filled with the frames. I removed the first frame out to mist it, and the sprayer didn’t work, (or so I thought) so I am fiddling with it. I instinctively turned the nozzle and aimed it at my face (and veil) to inspect the nozzle and duh, hit the button….. I had pumped the sprayer up pretty good with pressure, and the nozzle, as it turned out, was positioned to jet, so needless to say I gave my veil, eyes, and face a good jet spray of sugar syrup.

One by one the bees clustered on the veil to lick off the syrup in front of my face, and my eyes were pretty sticky. I wiped some of the liquid from my veil, but just kept going, tilting my head to see. The bees didn’t mind, neither did I. A vehicle with wandering, lost tourists looking for a winery pulled up nearby, (windows half rolled down) hollering at me, asking for directions. I turned around to tell them if they waited long enough I’d go with them. I must have been a sight to see with the bees clustered on my veil, because they laid rubber and smoke flew on that little country road. That vehicle went from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds……

That winery isn’t worth going to anyway.

Looking forward to reading from everyone else as we go along this 2012 season!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling: :lol: Good one! :lol:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks perry,
    come on y' all, i am waiting to hear some of your stories in your bee yards!

4. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok so yesterday.. in went out to my bee yard.. AKA Back yard... and realized.... I got NO Bees yet.......lol I should ask G3 to catch me some...

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That would have been a hoot to be there to the look on their faces. I have forgotten all about that natural bee fear now. The funniest event so far in my yard was the day I hived my first bees a couple of weeks ago. My wife was generously offering her brave service of taking photos when I began hearing her mumbling, "what is this yellow stuff falling on me?" It progressively multiplied at which point I remember the hygiene of the bees and their first order of business breaking out of those packages...ha! I told her what it was..."what! I'm getting s_ _ _ on by bees!" Yeap,,,sorry honey (pun intended)...I forgot to mention that part...thanks for your help though...I love you...:wink:

6. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

I would love to share a funny story, but I really can't think of one! =( Except for maybe those crazy dance moves I did once when one determined little gal managed to get up under my zippered veil..... and the resulting very swollen right eye.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

lol medic, i am looking forward to the day that an italian mobbed up gangster, (who owns a liquor store), is from staten island new york, in his first season of keeping bees, posts an adventure to this thread.....:grin: this thread will need to be renamed as 'medic's backyard bee adventures'! :lol:

blueblood, the looks were priceless, what there was of it i could see.....also, i have friends that bravely help me on occasion....one of the first comments was 'what is this brown s--- on me? well, bee's poop too! sometimes that's why we wear coveralls!

very fortunate bwwertz, in many years now no stings to the eyes,(courtesy of learning from my mentor's swollen eyes) (plenty of other places). today, i did have another one of those is she on the INSIDE or the OUTSIDE.....only this time it was they. just calmly, quickly walked away, and gently shooed 'they' out....don't know how calm quick is, but managed to do it without a dance:grin:

a couple passing by on motorcycles stopped today. they have seen me work the bees for a number of years in the past and always stop, but watch from a distance. the wife wanted to see the bees up close, on the inner cover of the lid, and on a frame the bees were building comb on. she trusted me to invite her near me to see, and take some photos up close.

it was nothing short of joy for me to give a glimpse of the nature of a honey bee to a non beekeeper, and in the minds of many who categorize them with other stinging insects to swat, kill and exterminate. she will take that experience and her photographs and share it with many others.
    another good day for me with the bees....

8. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Thought of you today, riverbee! Was working a hive at my friend's house. Her neighbors drive by - I am in bee suit, hat, veil, gloves - bees flying EVERYWHERE cause I'm brushing and knocking them off frames to steal some eggs and larva - one frame of which is in my hands and she says - "do you keep bees!?" =) "why yes, mam, I do!" =) Still trying to figure out what gave it away. =)

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I will have my own reality show on TLC.... lol ...I am trying to find someone to film me hiving the Nuc , and doing at least my first inspection... But between all the laughs and BEEE Jokes from the friend and family I may have to buy a tripod...

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

medic, better invest in the tripod, because i for one, want to see this....:lol:

bwwertz LOL! no i don't keep bees, i'm out here baking a cake wearing a space suit....?! yamaybeno!?
    i think we should pool our resources for some great replies....!

11. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Short but funny story - perhaps with a little bit too much information though.....
    Was working the bees the other day....finished up and walked about 75 yards away - didn't hear or see any still near me. Took the arms out of my suit and tied it around my waist as usual. I am a VERY modest person. It drives my poor hubby crazy, but I can't help it. But all of a sudden I had some buzzing on my back - I flicked my shirt hoping it'd send her off, but she got under it - and off came the shirt in a heartbeat!! My husband says if only he were a honeybee or a soccer ball (I LOVE SOCCER and coach two teams) - he'd be a much happier man! =)

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

bwwertz.....
    LOL! what's the text language for WAY TOO MUCH INFO:grin: W2Minfo?!!!:lol:

'ain't' NO ONE MODEST when you get a bee anywhere inside the clothing.........:eek: