Beginner question. When the honey supers are on how do you check the brood boxes?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by CrogWelly, May 27, 2016.

1. CrogWelly

CrogWelly New Member

When the honey supers are on how do you check the brood boxes?

Do you just unpack the stack and take a look at the brood boxes as usual ?

Crog

2. Ray

Ray Member

I don't check them, once the honey supers are on, the bees are on their own.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't want to check with more than 2 honey supers on, but I do check up to that point. I have a little table just a little larger than a hive box. I check the top box action, comb, honey or brood/eggs, etc., then put the lid on it and set it on the table. Box 2, Same thing, remove lid from box 1, and move 2 on top of it after checking it. AT that point I am in the brood box to check it. Can be a very good thing to check too. Reassembly in reverse order, one box at a time. Smoke before inspecting and as you open each box, very lightly, again if bees become agitated

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Since a neighbor across from one of my yards reported a swarm last week (thrilling for her), obviously I get lazy and don't check the big stacks as often as I should.:oops::doh:

When I am on my game, I won't go through frames, but will tip the boxes up enough to check the undersides for swarm cells. While doing so, I get a pretty good idea about density, SHB, blockages...

5. camero7

camero7 Member

Watch the entrances, you can tell a lot about a hive from observation. Like Ray, when the supers go on the bees are on their own. I have a few hives with 3-4 supers right now. Not about to take them off to check.