behavior of caged queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, May 17, 2012.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

My queens came today for splits that are happening Saturday. Eight queens in all - shipped in a battery box. I have had queens like this plenty of times. I just give them a drop or two of water each day and they are generally fine for a couple of days.

This time is different. I hear them buzzing loudly (probably the workers as well as the queens) on and off and then I hear piping. Is this normal?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Mine have done that on occasion. I use to keep mine in a kitchen cupboard till I was ready and they would be nice and quiet in the dark. I would forget about them later in the evening and go to get a glass or something and open the cupboard door and Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :lol:
    Surprised my wife with the location first time I did it :razz: I've kept them in the kitchen cupboard ever since (when I get them) :wink:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

perhaps Tyro they were just thanking you for nice drink of cool water after their long journey?

4. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

Do note if theyre in western cages, they'll stave without being fed syrup as opposed to water

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

I have just never heard them piping cages before. And they are piping quite a bit. I am not familiar with a 'western' cage. These are 3-hole and JZBZ. I have not had trouble with them yet.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes what is western cages?

I have found Tyro that a lot of things can get the workers and queen pretty noisy. Temperature and sunlight are certain two things that will get them a talkin' (and them girls do like to talk from time to time). a waff of smoke from my smoker will do the same thing. I did wonder if the cages have attendants (usually the jz don't, but the 3 hole would be a maybe???).

7. Tyro

Tyro Member

tec -

Actually, all of the cages are filled with attendants. I would bet (and I suppose I could count) that there are at least 6 attendants/cage. The 3-hole cages may have even more.

I always worry when I have to keep them like this. I know that they will almost certainly be fine for a few days, but I can't help it. Ironically, if I made nucs first and then had to wait for the queens to come, I would worry about the nucs then.

I worry about these dang bees almost as much as I worry about my kids! I thought that hobbies were supposed to be RELAXING!

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yep that is the way things are suppose to be.... thankfully I have no children so I only need worry about is one little grey dog and several million 'girls'.

in recent times I think I have noticed that I have better acceptance with no attendants in the introduction cage. getting 6 attendants into those jz cages must have been a chore???