Being prepared

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Ray, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

A big storm is on the way and that made me remember the rules.
    Check for: Candles, lanterns & fuel, food, snow shovel, tire chains, salt, batteries....
    Chores: fill the bath tub (water to flush the toilet), make sure at least one of propane tanks was full,....

That, however, was back in the good old days:lol:. Back before: 4 wheel drives everywhere you look, piped in natural gas, affordable generators, and infrastructure to clean the roads.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We still live the good old days here on the farm in SW, Mo. Been times the 4 wheel drive was helpless. Jack

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

you forgot the toilet paper, duct tape, a 5 gallon pail and regular shovel ray.
    don't ask me what the 5 gallon pail was ever for but in my family it was a standard piece of emergency equipment..........:lol:
    (actually it was used when we camped for dousing the campfire, but it went everywhere else).

4. Ray

Ray Member

My family had one too, but I think it was only 10 quarts. You had to use something to transfer the water from the bathtub to flush the toilet. The males were expected to use Mother Natures facilities, or the old one holer.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

matches... why do folks always forget to put those on the list?

6. Ray

Ray Member

There was always a big box of wooden strike anywhere matches in the bathroom. The sulfur burning purified the air, for the next occupant.

7. jb63

jb63 New Member

I all ways carry a bic lighter.If the guys on the survival shows did the same thing they wouldn't have to rub two sticks together.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"matches... why do folks always forget to put those on the list? "

"I all ways carry a bic lighter.If the guys on the survival shows did the same thing they wouldn't have to rub two sticks together."

:lol:

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We have a ice storm coming in tonight, so i put out extra hay(big round bales) for the cows,checked there water tanks, made sure the bees top entrances are clear, made sure the generator would start and had plenty of gasoline.The 1000 gal.propane tank is 60% full (we can heat the house with the gas fireplace log.) Got plenty of popcorn and the wife just made two batches of cookies.:thumbsup: This is one of those times i don't miss the good old days, taking hay out of the barn and feeding off the back of a trailor (square bales), chopping ice in the pond for cows to drink (2 or 3 times a day) milking 60 head mourning and night in a unheated barn, draw enough water from the well for cooking and drinking, bring enough wood in the house for 3 or 4 days and cover the outside wood pile, and dred the cold walk to the outhouse,These are just a few things that come to mind of the good old days.:roll: Jack

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Quiet Kids Jack is reminiscing again. And he had to walk to school up hill both ways. No Snow Days, like Perry is grumbling about.

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am with you brooksbeefram, don't miss the good old days at all, guess I have gotten to used to the good times of today. Bought a scope for my rifle and cannot see the crosshairs in the dang thing, oh well I can hit the target petty good free siteing anyway.

klebee

12. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have heard it said that "The good old days are remembered best by those with failing memorys"!

I remember, but not fondly, sitting in cold old 2 holers and spending the waiting time rumpling up and softening sheets from the old Sears and Eatons mail order catalogues. That old glazed paper had some sharp corners if you didnt soften it.:eek:

Know what you mean about eyes getting old. I got a scope for christmas and find I cant get both the vertical and horizontal cross hairs in focus at the same time.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well the storm hit early this mourning, ice, sleet,snow, 30 mph wind.:eek:Where having one of those wierd snow storms with thunder?? Some power outage to the south Ark. & Mo. line, temp in mid 20's,. The silver lining is, it's supposed to be 54 F Sunday:thumbsup:. Jack

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Guess I'm young enough to have missed that! :thumbsup: :rolling:

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Looks like we've gone from tenderfoots to tenderbutts, :lol: Jack

16. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Jack; the term we use for them is "Candyass"!

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No running water until I was 14.
    No hot water until I was 18.
    No bathroom until I was 20.
    No central heat until I was 26.

The good old days are gone at last.
    The good old days can kiss my ***.

18. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Iddee, I had similar experience and remember bucking wood after school and snaring rabbits, but you know we didnt feel poor or hard done by. There was a pride in being able to manage skillfully in hard times that is absent in todays "victim mentality" I learned how to darn socks and cook. No better way to cripple people than grant their every dream with no effort on their part!

19. Ray

Ray Member

PerryBee
    Guess I'm young enough to have missed that!
    :thumbsup::rolling:

Ditto:thumbsup:, if it don't come on a roll.........:eek:

I grew up with indoor plumbing:thumbsup:. The out house was for emergencies only, and then you might have to move some stored sundries.

My Dad tells of digging the hole for the septic tank, circa 1950. He claimed that his Dad paused, leaned on his shovel and said " you know this a lot of work, just so a man can crap in his own house":lol:

All you old far..ah....beeks the term I have heard is: you talk like a man with a paper @$$hole!

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I wouldn't want to go back to those days, but i do have alot of fond memories of growing up back then. Nobody i knew thought they were poor that's just the way it was, nobody had much of anything and they shared what they had and worked with and helped each other. It's sure a different world now,i know people in town that don't even know there next door neighbors name? Sad. :???: Jack