below hive comb

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I really need to open up the entrance of the beeweaver's hive, it is still set at about 2 bees wide from when they were a small baby hive. I think they got desperate and drew some comb on the underside, because that is the only explanation for a piece of comb under the box. All my entrances are pretty small as flow comes and goes, and robbing is a pastime in the ebb. Have anyone else bees drawn comb outside the box (the piece on the ground is about 2.5 inches in diameter and bright yellow with pollen, but it is too busy for me to get over there or get a pic right now

2. Gypsi

I grabbed that piece of comb after dark, it is really 3 x 4 inches, and there were eggs in it. Not a bee on it. Something tells me I have a mated queen who can't fit in her front door.

3. Gypsi

Just got done doing a real no-no but it worked out. Popped open my Beeweavers hive at 8:15 pm because yesterday I found a honeycomb on the ground under it that had been drawn under it, full of egg cells. Guessing the occupants of my swarm trap are their old queen and some bees, the newly mated lady returned and couldn't fit in the front door which had a 2 bee wide entrance reducer on it. I noted crowding at the front last week, but they tend to be hot and I didn't have time before dusk to remove it. Today I popped the 2 medium supers off, both being filled with a mixture of nectar and syrup I suspect, and went through the middle box, all uncapped nectar, set them aside to get the weight off, went through half of the bottom deep, again all uncapped syrup/nectar (smells like nectar but I am feeding soooooo.). skipped the 2nd half, popped the entrance reducer, and put in a short piece of 1x1. Then scooped about 4 cups of bees off the bottom of the screened bottom board and dumped them on the front porch. No stings. They really want their lady inside. Ran for the house just as darkness was falling. Tomorrow I will see if the bees have moved indoors, or I will have to move them again. Hope I didn't injure the queen.

4. bee stung

bee stung New Member

why so small entrance ??????? if its so small that a gueen can not fit in it I would say its to small ,,, I think a entrance the size of a quarter or nickel would be the sallest I would put in ,,, if the hive is so weak that they need a smaller one to stop robbing I would say it is way way to weak to survive [h=2][/h]

5. Ray

Ray Member

That's why I don't like SBB. IMO The hive became nectar bound and the worker moved under the hive and started building comb and the queen moved out to lay in it. If you hadn't had a SBB they probably would have swarmed.

6. Gypsi

I have 5 SBB's and only this one swarmed and they were honeybound while I was off working ponds. Will check later today. I had a 2 bee entrance reducer on because I started this hive from a purchased beeweaver queen and 2 frames of bees in between very large hives, started in a nuc, upped to a deep when they had it filled out, but that was in prime robbing time so I used the small reducer again. It has done very well and they were amazingly gentle last night, not bad. (I have had hot Beeweaver hives before)

7. bee stung

bee stung New Member

I use only sbb ,, after I started using sbb my hives have done better so it works for me ... I started using wine corks for entrance reducers I push a small nail inthe end then push aother one together , and just add what I want till the is the size I want , this way its easy to open or reduce entrance ,,,, you ca even cut one if you want and add or take away only halfe a cork

8. Gypsi

Wine corks are a good idea. I use whatever is handy. I got some 1x2's split on a tablesaw a couple of years ago and I have them cut to different lengths, but if the opening is too big and I see a rock the right size I stuff it in front of the opening too. On the bright side, her ladyship seems to have moved into the hive, I will check her laying pattern in a week or so. There is a tiny comb still hanging under the hive, I think it might be brood because it is being tended.

On the dark side, some hive or another robbed my cutout, apparently there was a tiny opening big enough for a bee in their screened in nuc. that or the cutout absconded. But they did leave behind close to a frame of capped and hatching brood so I stuck it in with my smallest swarm.