berries

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Omie, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Proud of myself... I didn't wait too long to order my raspberry and blueberry plants for the Spring. I got them ordered before they started running out of the most in-demand varieties.
    Woo-HOOOO, we'll be planting the berry patches in the Spring! More flowers for my bees, too. :Dancing:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I DOOO like blueberries.

I have four peach trees to plant, should have had them in the ground already.

G3

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Voice of experience: If you plan to put up support posts/wires for your raspberries, do so when plants are small. It's much less painful that way! :oops: Unless you got thornless varieties, but that's no fun....

4. Brenda

Brenda New Member

I'm going to add some more strawberries in the spring. I had a small patch this year.
    I have some raspberries too, but blueberries don't do well here without a lot of soil amending.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I bet my long bee gloves will come in handy for raspberry pruning some day!

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Just get someone else to do it..... :thumbsup:

7. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Don't let the blueberries ever dry out entirely. I planted some in sandy loam without irrigation, and they will not "forgive" you a dry spell. They'll be all brown in no time flat. Wish I could have some, though....Best of luck with two good choices.
    Rick~LilWilli

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks, I'll remember that about not letting get dried out. :)
    No sandy soil here, and I'll use plenty of pine bark mulch- they'll appreciate the acidity too. I'll be testing the soil acidity for the blueberry patch area soon.

The raspberries are going to be given the entire old vegetable garden strip to themselves. (now that we have the big new vegetable garden) It's perfect- a shed wall along one long side, and a metal fence and mowed lawn around the other three sides. They wont be able to invade anywhere, they'd just get mowed trying. And its the sunny side of the shed too.

9. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I'd add a dab more fertilizer, too, as pine mulch burns nitrogen as it decomposes into the ground. It would be good to have the mulch for sure, though. Good touch!
    LilWilli

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Dont worry, I'll have lots of compost from my big compost bins and also fresh earthworm castings from my worm composting bin. In addition, it'll be planted in a foot of fresh compost-laced topsoil brought in this past summer. Should be good!

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We love our blueberry bushes, they finally put on a few berries this year. We have strawberries scattered out all over the place so a walk around the yard is breakfast for me when they are ready. We had planned to get them put into a well made larger "strawberry garden" this year but ran out of time.

We are planning our strawberry move for early spring, I'm sure I'll have tons of runners and maybe some mother plants I can try to save for you if you want them Omie.....or someone else. I was hoping to trade some for some comfrey starts but I'm not having any luck bartering that.

My dh got us some kevlar sleeves to wear while we work with the blackberries and other prickly things.... those are awesome I'm not sure where to get them but if you can find them they make things lots easier. ;)

13. Brenda

Brenda New Member

Thanks G3. That's a good price, but here in Illinois, winter is setting in for real, and strawberries won't be planted until spring. I don't really want to store them in the fridge again (i did last winter), so I'm waiting to order.

14. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I have a pretty good patch of comfrey that takes care of itself in my yard. Right now the deer have eaten it down short, but there are still green leaves. If you can help me learn how to make "starts," I will gladly see what I can do. Might trade for some of that purple honey ;) !!

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

LOL, I wish I had some more purple honey! The thing about the purple honey is that we never get a lot of it, it's like the last two or three weeks of the summer that the bees make it. I do however have a BUNCH of strawberry plants.... I went out and looked and the silly things are trying to take over a large portion of the garden.

Comfrey does well from transplants or leaf cuttings either one. Transplants generally will grow faster but either one works.....so you just dig some up. I hear the bees really like it, and I know for sure my chickens do, and we like to have it for our salves. Let me know how many strawberry plants you want and I'll set to diggin'.

16. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Mama Beek - sent you a PM.

17. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Got it, you have one as well Hobie.