Besides bees.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Dec 16, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

What other hobbies do you have? I'm thinking outside the normal...."Take care of the chickens and work in the garden" type stuff?

Anyone primitive camp, anyone go on whitewater trips, or go caving? (I'll skip the fancy terms)

Any unusual hobby types out there?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Snakes....................

cast iron cookware.................

Fishing with hands only. No tackle....................

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Church Activities
    internet trouble making, otherwise known as discussion. :)
    tv and movies

not a whole lot more than that. tending hives, harvesting honey, packing and distributing packed honey pretty much takes up my time. I watched a film, on the sundance channel last night, about a Buddist fellow who wrote the Tassajara Bread Book. It made me think that I'd enjoy a more Zen like beekeeping career than what I have. If I could sustain my life that way.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I used to fish a lot. Not any longer though, the boat has been dry docked for 5 years now.

I like to cross country ski around home here. Most of the neighbours allow me to tresspass on there places.

I love snowmobileing, Minnesota is best in my books as the trail system is so huge and the NR trail sticker was only $16.00 per sled per year compaired to Michigans $25.00 per sled per year. We feel Minnesota is safer as they seem to patrol the trail and keep the drunks off better.

Then there is the hunting. We've a deer camp in the UPPER and I normall hunt the two week firearm season there. I'll then return home and do the 2 weeks of Muzzle loader season here. Then from Jan till about march I'll be hunting youtes alone or with friends.

:mrgreen: Al

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Bird watching, Monarch larva monitoring, woodworking.

Used to do a lot of nature walks and picnics, but we have more nature here than on the walks. :D

Walt

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

like al at one time I fished quite a lot. I hope to do a bit more of that in the near future with a buddy of mine that just acquired a 'new' boat. it and the crappie should be ready by early spring.

readin'... I do a lot of that in various subject.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

iddee,
    I saw a show on catching catfish by placing your hands into underwater holes. Seemed like a good ol' boy thing, that somehow would require at least a six pack on my part to participate..... :thumbsup:

Now bow fishing seem more like it.... :drinks:

8. Charles

Charles New Member

My time is usually spent doing whatever it is my boy is into, right now that's building Thomas the train tracks, Dinosaurs, boxing, and football.

In my other spare time I have guns, coin collecting, and classic cars...

Then there is always the internet ;-)

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Catfish ain't so bad. It's the snapping turtles you have to be careful with. It takes a full 12 pack to go after them.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Raising registered charolais cattle, a little artificial insimination work and flushing.

Garden work, playing with the bees, putting up hay, welding and fabrication work, gun collection, reloading, old coin collection. All of that on top of owning my own business and running it (small, but still more to do). Watching my four daughters grow up, sigh :cry:

I use to fish 6 to 7 days a week from dark til dark, almost got a divorce over that, no more fishing......well maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a couple of hours. No more time for hunting either, I love to squirrel and crow hunt, any varmit hunting is the best. Was into wood working for quite a while but switched over to metal working. Use to like mechanic work but grew tired of that, seems like a never ending job on the farm though.Did the caving, repelling, hiking, camping, rope skills and other outdoors stuff years ago. Was heavily involved in church couple of years ago until I got volunteered for everything that need repaired, built or moved, mostly by myself.

Dang........sounds like all I do is work, I need to have a little more fun I guess. Just not sure how to do it.

G3

11. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Other than beekeeping and participating in church activities, I like sewing, cooking, hiking, gardening, raising assorted breeds of chickens and rabbits, shooting big guns, tire crafting, soap making, stacking fire wood, building fires, blowing stuff up, helping other people, and learning as much as I can.
    My only problem is not having enough time in a day!!

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

G3 writes:
    Dang........sounds like all I do is work

tecumseh:
    it reminds me of a little paragraph in emerson's waldon pond... he made some comment about watching a farmer pass by with 40 acres on his shoulder.

humm.... don't I seem to remember you talkin' about fishin' from dawn to dark 6 or 7 days a week? yep that certainly sounds like work, work, work.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It was truly work, mostly hard core bass fishing practice. Fished in four different tournaments on seven different lakes. I gave it up cold turkey.

G3

15. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

iddee,
    snappers!...nothing is worth me losing a finger.... :eek:

16. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I used to build flower beds for Kare. she has about 3800 sq. ft.of perennial beds now. She hasn't wanted any more since a mole{s} invaded one year and kept her busy replanting stuff it (they) pushed out of the ground. Nothing I tried seemed to work getting rid on them. the 12 ga did get most of the ones gotten as I could sit out and see the ground move and blast them. But I just didn't have all day to sit and watch for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:mrgreen: Al

17. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Very nice, Al. It looks like photography is on your list too, eh?

18. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

All them purdy flowers....and I don't see one bee.... :eek:

This is a bee forum you know..... :thumbsup:

:coolphotos:

19. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

ya can't please everybody

20. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

That's true....so you better make sure who is worth the effort...... :Dancing:

I usually forget about those that have no humor first..... :lol: