Besides bees.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Hi, the hammered dulcimer and the mountain dulcimer are completely different instruments.
    Here is Jean Ritchie playing a mountain dulcimer with a turkey quill:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wR4GZGnZE

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Besides bees I spend most of my time either working or ferrying my son between his three different therapists... and when I'm not doing that, I'm working on a college degree.

3. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Baking bread, especially "artisan" breads--have to use up all those herbs somehow! Birdwatching, and participating in Cornell's citizen science project feeder watch (documenting and reporting sightings of birds two days a week). My newest hobby is convincing my husband that we really need a milk cow, or two mules, or both. That hobby will occupy me for a long time, I feel.

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

I enjoy baking artisan bread too! Here are two white boule loaves I made today, a sesame and a poppy:

[​IMG]

Oooh, and i just realized after posting this that you can see three jars of honey in the background! :mrgreen:

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Wow. I am beginning to think that the best restaurant in all of New York is at Omie's house.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm starting to think so too!

I love to bake bread too, lots of different kinds and am always trying to learn more. I'm hoping to build myself a brick oven this summer and start baking outside again....there just isn't any other way to get that texture! I need more recipes!!!

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Have either of you bread bakers used terra cotta pans? My sister bakes bread, and I wanted to get her something special for her birthday. The stores say the terra cotta pans are great, but they want to sell pans, and they are a lot more expensive than the metal ones.

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I've used terra cotta pots (as in flower pots) for a special order for a ladies garden party. It's about as close as you can get to brick oven without a brick oven.....that said I don't know if I would spend the extra $$ or not. There are lots of different kinds of "stone" bakeware though.

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

I swear by using my big cast iron Dutch oven covered pots. 20 minutes at 500F with lid on, 20 minutes at 450F with lid off.
    I always get a beautiful crisp crust and soft inside. I lift the risen loaves on their baking parchment paper and place it all right into the pot and bake, like this:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9fPBEJTqGzw/S ... utch-1.jpg
    corn meal sprinkled on the paper before placing loaf on it keep sthe paper from sticking to the bread.

10. beekeeperhelper

I have a stoneware bread cloche--a round 3" deep dish with a domed lid that makes fantastic bread! It has to be oiled lightly before use and never washed in hot soapy water--just a wipe out with a damp cloth. My husband got it for me years ago (he is so smart!). I've never tried terra cotta, although I have seen very expensive pans advertised. Most of my breads are free-hand, and don't use pans, just a baking stone or flat sheet.

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Not sure about anyone else, but all of a sudden, I'm hungry! :thumbsup:

My wife is from Denmark, and I lived overseas for 8 years. We miss the great bread that you can get almost on any corner in Denmark. It's a treat when we go back every year.

There is a place here locally selling at market that makes great breads, but some of my favorites can run between 8 and 12 dollars per loaf.

I think I'll be looking for a baking stone or pan as being mentioned.

12. beekeeperhelper

Bjorn,
    My "baking stone" is a tile from the local orange big-box DYI store. It's flat not textured, and the kind that is unglazed and you are supposed to seal after installing--Saltillo tile it is called here. Works great and cost about 69 cents. Walt will tell you I toss nickels around like manhole covers. I prefer to think that I'm frugal.
    I slip the tile into the oven, preheat, and then put my bread directly on the tile with a little cornmeal sprinkled to keep the bread from sticking. I don't use it for all breads, but for some it's the only way to bake!

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Omie - Given your musical talents, I just looked up this band you may enjoy: the Tiger Maple String Band. The man who takes care of my slate roof is the banjo player. Here's a video. They also have a website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V2oHfLF ... re=related

I've always admired musical people, having no talent myself!

14. Omie

Omie Active Member

So where's the banjo???
    They should make that guy with the electric guitar stand way in back and bring the banjo player right up front with the fiddlers to keep the beat clean and crisp. :to_keep_order:

(....can you tell I'm a banjo player?) :mrgreen:

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

YEE HAW!! now that was some good playing right there. Them two young ladies could sure saw a fiddle in half!

I am with Omie though where is the banjo???

If that don't get your toe to tapping and put a grin on your face something has to be wrong with ya.

G3

16. Brenda

Brenda New Member

Thanks for those pretty photos Al. That makes me think I need to get to work on my flower beds this spring. I have lots of horse manure in the barn, and we sure have clay, not red but tan colored. I don't know how much clay digging I could do though.

17. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Omie I have a couple cast iron dutch ovens I'm trying to break in and was curios if you would post some of your recipes?! I love to bake bread but it usually doesn't turn out with the crisp outside and soft inside that I want it to. Although, that may be because I always use regular bread pans. :D

18. Omie

Omie Active Member

WBB,
    I think the Dutch ovens need to be at least 6 qt for baking bread of good size. Do a test.

I am using the basic recipe from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book. It takes way longer than 5 minutes by the way. ;)
    Basically, for two large loaves:
    In a large tupperware food storage box, mix together 6 cups white unbleached All Purpose flour, 1 1/2 Tabspoon yeast, 1 1/2 TB kosher coarse salt or sea salt, and 3 cups slightly warm water.
    Mix well with a spoon or your hands. Cover (without sealing tightly) and let sit for 2 1/2 hours. It will double and then fall.

Sprinkle with flour and dust countertop. Pull off each half and quickly pull sides under all around to make a ball with a fairly tight pulled surface. Do NOT KNEAD- you want to keep all the gas bubbles in side intact!
    Place each ball on a 15" or so square sheet of parchment baking paper that has been generously sprinkled with corn meal to prevent the dough sticking to it. Let the two boule loaves 'rest' for about 50 minutes. They will rise just slightly.

Meanwhile, put your cast iron pots and covers in the oven and preheat to 500F for at least 30 minutes.

Just before baking, you can either dust the loaves with flour shaken from a small strainer and then slash them, OR you can paint the loaves with a cornstarch wash and sprinkle with seeds and then slash them.
    When ready to bake, quickly open the oven, and carefully lift the parchment, loaf and all (pick up by diagonal corners) and gently and quickly place loaf, paper and all, and put the lid on tight. BE CAREFUL, the pots are very hot!
    With loaves in the covered pots, close oven quickly and bake at 500F for 20 minutes. Don't worry about the parchment corners sticking out of the pot- they'll brown and get brittle but will not be a problem or catch on fire or anything.
    Open oven and quickly remove lids altogether and then bake uncovered for another 20 minutes (if baking two loaves at once) or only another 15 min if doing just one loaf. This yields two large round 'boules', or three smaller round loaves.
    Needless to say, a kitchen timer is essential for all this. LOL It's all worth it for the wonderful results, though.
    Here's a picture of a really nice batch i spent a couple hours on...two are plain white with black sesame and white sesame seeds, and the other two are calamata olive/sundriedtomato/onion/garlic loaves with a flour dusting. Notice how the slash patterns allow the loaves to expand nicely despite the tightly pulled gluten skin when forming the ball:
    [​IMG]

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

omie the bread looks beautiful and make my mouth water. I wish I could reach thru the screen and grab a bite.

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Stripey bread like bees! Looks delicious.

For you banjo players, here's a tune where they still stick poor Barry in the back corner, but he gets the vocal lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c7S1Eq4jnM

If I could do my life over, the one thing I would do is learn a muscal instrument.