Besides bees.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

You can make every new day the start of your new life.

Get a mountain dulcimer and find a teacher or club or even just watch some youtube starter lessons- it's just about the easiest instrument in the world for a beginner with no musical background to pick up and start playing. If you actually want to do this, I can help you with lots of experienced advice- I'm very into helping mountain dulcimer beginner players and I have some websites for it.

2. XLB

XLB New Member

I don't know Omie, when i first started playing music, I thought the auto-harp had to be the easiest. I've never played a dulcimer tho, I might have to try that some time.

I've been playing my bass for the church I go to for almost 4 years and I've found it pretty easy as long as you have or can develop a sense of rhythm.

who knows, maybe if I ever go to NY our family will have to get together and play a while! :) (and talk about bees and gardening too. :mrgreen: )

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Thank you for the recipe Omie!!!! I can't wait to try to bake some!!!!! ( i have to season my pots first)
    I just hope they turn out as pretty as yours! :thumbsup:

I don't know anything about anything musically except a little bit of piano and fiddle. I really like y'alls music though, you sound very good. Hobie's friend's band sounds good too. :D
    Do either of the bands play any gospel music? (Because of our religious beliefs we only play/ listen to gospel.) My favorite is bluegrass gospel but it's hard to find very many groups that don't sound depressed when they sing, so we usually listen to southern gospel.
    Here is one of my favorite groups playing one of my favorite songs.
    ( sorry the video didn't want to work right)

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

WBB- I should have mentioned in the recipe that when you first mix the dough- i first take the 3 cups slightly warm water and divide it in half- and put the yeast in one half and the salt in the other half. That lets the yeast come alive and start activating in water thats not full of salt. After ten minutes of the yeast in the warm water, I then put the flour in a plastic big box and add both the yeast water and salt water at once then mix all with a big spoon. No kneading. The dough will be rather wet and sticky, that's how it should be. Then you cover it and let it rise for the 2.5 hours... and continue recipe.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my brother in law (curiouslylocal.com) makes bread in a dutch oven much like you describe Omie. he says it is quite good with my honey although I think perhaps he is just hitting me up for some more sweet stuff. I think I recall him one time saying that how you treated the yeast was critical... I think??? he let the yeast set some while and adds some vitamin to the yeast to make it 'happy' (his term).

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my brother in law (curiouslylocal.com) makes bread in a dutch oven much like you describe Omie. he says it is quite good with my honey although I think perhaps he is just hitting me up for some more sweet stuff. I think I recall him one time saying that how you treated the yeast was critical... I think??? he let the yeast set some time and adds some vitamin to the yeast to make it 'happy' (his term).

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have found when it is wet and sticky it makes for a more lighter and fluffier bread.

G3

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

OK, thanks again omie! I haven't made any yet, but as soon as I do I'll see if mom will help me figure out how to pictures on here for y'all to see.
    We usually add yeast to warm water. Would the salt effect the way it works at all?
    I've never noticed if salt hinders our yeast or not. :confused:

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

Just let the yeast 'ripen' for it's first 10 minutes or so in the warm water without the salt.
    That's why I divide the water in 1/2 and let the salt dissolve in one while the yeast soaks in the other....then I put it all together with the flour and mix. That way the yeast is never exposed to a full salt dose in the water- the flour buffers everything when you mix all together and the salt can't hurt the yeast then.

10. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks again!