Best head gear for seeing above for swarm catching????

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Bees In Miami, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Hi everyone...I did my fair share of reading in the archives, and admittedly, may not be the best with the search feature here. Anyways, I want to find headgear/veil or whatever, that will allow me to have upward visibility, especially for swarm retrieval. The gear I have now, if I lift my head, I am looking into the hat. It just doesn't stay put! I have seen the jousting type covering with openings up above, but that just looks like some cotton that slips onto the back of the head. I want to be able to look above me, and the gear stay in place! Recommendations please? Trying to take advantage of the Brushy Bee offer, so any replies are great!! I am just disattisfied with the two I have now...perhaps I need to go to a helmet?? Thanks in advance. I don't want to waste more money....wish there was someplace I could try gear on, but I am stuck with the internet. Thanks!

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The fencing hat I can't get to stay put on my head at all. I think for visibility I like my helmet with additional veil (mine was dadant). It stays put pretty well, and the visibility is better than my bee suit's zip on hood/veil.

3. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Thanks Gypsi...Kinda the way I was leanng, too...Helmet & veil, and have my jacket set ups for back ups. Thanks!

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It depends on your IQ. If you are as dumb as I am, this outfit gives the best view. :thumbsup: :lol:

If you are anywhere near normal intelligence, you might not be happy with it. :shock:

[​IMG]

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Iddee, you do not live near African Honey bees do you? LOL.

6. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

ROFL!! I learned the hard way I can't take a sting to the face....and never mind the bo...well, never mind ...I will take my 'nerd' approach, thanks....:rolling: Maybe a few more stings and I can do like you do.... :thumbsup: :lol: I would need a bunch of cocktails first though...:shock:

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have tried several of the veil configurations and when I do have to wear it I will always go for the helmet and veil. I find it is MUCH cooler in the summer months and visibility is better for seeing eggs.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I'm with Iddee on this one but if Ilooked under piles of stuff I could come up with the helmet and tie down veil.

9. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Thanks G3farms...That is what I opted for. And trust me, I will certainly appreciate the 'cooler' aspect down here!! :wink:

10. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

ApisBees, Thanks! I can't do that quite like you guys can....Well...I could I suppose, but I might get arrested for indecent exposure...:eek: At least what iddee showed!! I'll keep my shirt on...lol Helmet and veil ordered.

11. Omie

Omie Active Member

Aaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Not again!!!!! :shock:

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are you having flashbacks there Omie!?!? :lol:

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

WOW, Omie. I didn't know I could still do that to the ladies.... :D