Best option?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Slowmodem, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

One of my hives (the swarm I caught last August) is dead. The other hive surprisingly had some bees in it. (not a lot, but I only looked in from the top, I didn't take the hive apart). I don't have much hope for them, but I stuck a feeder on top of the hive anyway.

The weather has been really screwy, and the 70F one day and 20F the next day had to be hard on them. Also, I think there has been robbing going on. The wax was pretty messed up when I inspected the hives last week.

I ordered two packages from Kelley's last fall and they're coming next month. I had already bought two hive-box sets for those packages (although I haven't put them together yet). So now I'm looking to replace the hive (maybe two) that died.

I can still order two packages from Pigeon Mountain for $94.99. I found out I can order a 3-frame nuc from a store in Chattanooga for $85. Both would arrive the end of April.

I'm tempted to order the nuc(s) because I already have hives, comb, honey, etc., and they could probably blast off and make a crop this year But I've not heard too much about a 3-frame nuc.

Has anyone used a 3-frame nuc before? Would the packages be better or the nucs?

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i like and prefer nucs greg, but i have always purchased 4 or 5 framers.......if the 3 frame nuc has a proven laying queen in it full of brood and bees going beezy......check out or ask how the nuc is made up? might help you decide.....
    btw having a little of both doesn't hurt.....:grin:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's a hard one Greg? how many frames of brood and estimated pounds of bees in the nuc? If just one frame of brood and a laying queen, i don't see much advantage over a 2# package except for maybe the $10.00 difference? but then i've never bought a 3 frame nuc. Jack

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Greg, I've never bought a 3 frame nuc, in fact never even heard of one, but if it was my choice I'd pay the extra $10 and get the package. I'd use my hives bodies that are empty now, or about to be (?) and hope they would blast off with spring in full tilt by the time they arrive. jmho.

Good luck.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I figured I'd go talk to them about it tomorrow. I may go with a nuc just to see how it does and so we'll have some info in case someone else asks about a 3-frame nuc. My work schedule may interfere with being able to pick up a package down in GA, and they charge a lot for shipping. But I'll keep the forum posted.