Best plans for an easy top bar?

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by Gypsi, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Just in case I get bored. I'm thinking maybe I want to build one.

Gypsi

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'll let Adam Foster Collins know. He has built some beauties, with windows on the side and everything. He has them just outside his basement window and can look at them all year round, almost like an observation hive.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I'm planning on using the plans on the lulu site with some mods. I have been keeping my eyes open for untreated pallets/skids as a possible material. I am thinking the thicker ones can be used for body and thin ones for shingle type roofing. Also, I am going to take bjornbee's advice and rip 2x4's down for top bars. He made sense when advising the 1-1/2" would suffice and not to waste time making one size for brood and another for honey. The bees will do their thing and it would be a nightmare keeping two sizes of top bars organized after a while. I am interested in Adam's ideas for mods I plan on utilizing.

5. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I use the same plans Mike bush uses for the most part. easy to build. low cost. bees don't care about the frills.

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Gypsi, Top bars can be extremely easy. about the only part that is hard is making the angled end pieces. I built one about as simple as they get and was finished before it felt like I had started. But then I have also built several langs frames and all as well. I think you could make a top bar with nothing but a couple of boards and a hand saw.