Best time to relocate hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crackerbee, Jun 25, 2011.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

After recently reading here on the forum that hives should be located in full sun to keep SHB under control,I decided at the same time change from using concrete blocks top a more attractive design like this one http://www.beehacker.com/wp/wp-content/ ... -Stand.jpg .The only variation to the plans I've made is to extend the length to 10 ft. from 8 ft per the plans.
    Right now all my hives face South,and I plan to build the new stand about 20 ft. from the present location,and the hives will face to the east at the new location.
    My question is what is the best time of day to relocate the hives after I complete the new hive stand?I'm thinking the best time is just after it gets dark after all the foragers are back in so as not to confuse the bees ,but I've read so many opinions regarding this I'm not sure what's best.

2. rast

rast New Member

Another one of those ask 10 beeks and get 11 different answers.
    Best time to move em is when you have help :) .
    Yes I like to move em at night if possible, I cut off a bushy limb of some sort and stick it in front of the entrance, supposed to make them reorient when they start flying the next morning. I have only had a problem (with a lot returning) once. You can also move all but a weak hive and strengthen it, then move it. You will have little bee confusion, but they will sort it out. Make sure you move the blocks and anything else that may have bee smell on it at the same time.
    Just what I do.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You might want to place some 1 in boards crosswise between the hives,
    great place to set things. also allow your self enough room between hives, a couple of extra inches are nice.

Murrell

4. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We have been moving our "worm box swarm" early in the morning before anyone is up. I did notice some confusion initially, but when I looked in on them a couple hours later, they seemed to have figured it out. We are only moving the hive 2 feet at a time, though.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

I have a very similar stand and made a table behind the hives for work area.... this is a pic as I put the nucs out , was raining at the time so waited a few hrs , table not yet done in this pic, but you can see the blocks behind big hive.

[​IMG]

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Here is kinda of a closeup of one of mine, like I say a couple more inches betewen hives would have been nice.

[​IMG]

Murrell

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Zulu I hope that big hive does not tetter totter the whole stand over.

I like to move at night or before the sun comes up and they start flying. A big handful of grass laid in the entrance will get them to reorient and they can drag it off also.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Nope it is now over the leg, well balanced just like dad :D

9. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Sounds like the night time hive shuffle is the way to go,with the handful of grass in the entrance.

Thanks Murrell for the construction tip of adding boards in between the hives,I like the idea of a place to lay tools and such on.

Thanks all for your input. :thumbsup:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Zulu said: "Well balanced just like dad" :D

Well, that explains your dad, what about you? :lol:

11. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Probably going to move the hives Tues. after dark.Got most of the girls new stilt home built except for paint and the cross boards(suggestion from Murrell)along with some eye bolts for rachetstraps,here are some pics of the progress:

[​IMG]

Here's the anti-ant buckets at each post:

[​IMG]

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Other than not when they are flying, the best time is when you have time or have made time to do what you need to do. If you wait for the ideal time, it never comes along. Do iot when you can, not when you want to.

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Like the bucket ideas n legs. May have to source some drywall mud buckets.

14. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

The best time is after dark, once the foragers are back in the house. Place a branch in front of them to make them re-orient themselves to the new position the next morning...You'll be all right.
    LtlWilli

15. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Got the new stand finished,but it's real humid,rainy and steamy right now,and the paint isn't going to be dry enough for a day or so.

Yup and it's painted in my college football war colors(had the paint on sale at Lowes on the mistake rack.).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah GO GATORS!!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HAHA I thought that was UT Vols Orange there for a minute :lol: :lol:

That is a good looking stand, like the ant control system also. Now all you need is a couple of your buddies and some of that home made wine :thumbsup:

17. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

[quote="G3farms

That is a good looking stand, like the ant control system also. Now all you need is a couple of your buddies and some of that home made wine :thumbsup:[/quote]

I dunno bout that G3 I think mixing gunpowder and alcohol falls in the same critieria as bees and alcohol :chased: :lol:

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Both sound exciting. LIKE..... Hold my beer and watch this.... :D

19. Zulu

Zulu Member

Alcohol and a full hive of bees. Mmmmmmm

pls make sure you have video :D :yahoo:

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Hold my beer and watch this... :D "

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

Usually the precurser to a really good show! :mrgreen: