Better Bee Keeping

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tecumseh, Dec 31, 2012.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have just finished reading Kim Flottum newest book. A good deal of content is likely more applicable to northern beekeeper than us southern folk. I very much like how the book is constructed and the print size is certainly appreciated by these old eyes.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Which book is that tec, is that the name of it?
    I have a gift certificate for Coles/Indigo/Chapters. Does it have anything new that can be gleaned?

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Apis--that was a great link. It didn't give the whole book, but gave a real nice apetizer. I can see why Tec enjoyed it. Flottum has a very "dollars and cents" way of presenting his "philosophy of bee-keeping". But his botom line is definitely not only money.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree Efmesch, I am impressed with what I saw. It seems to deal with a lot of practical stuff as far as growth, etc. is concerned. I think I found something to use that gift certificate on! :thumbsup:

6. Ray

Ray Member

Better Bee Keeping
    I bought the book and am disappointed.
    I would strongly suggest finding a copy to look through before spending the money on it.
    The book is geared toward commercial Beekeeping and that's not where I am at.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do wish I had read Kim's two prior books so I had a better idea of the flow of information thru the entire series. I do not think the book would provide much information to any one who was really serious about going commercial. Actually in that regards (imho) nothing beyond doing a few round with a commercial outfit will provide you with any great insight. Better Bee Keeping I suspect may be a better guide for anyone wishing to grow from some small number of hives to some intermediate number of hives. Beyond the nuts and bolts practical stuff I think the book presents some reasonable expectations (ie what you should expect) in dealing with various components in the beekeeping business. There were one or two tricks in the book that I had never seen presented in any other book.