better queens

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by G3farms, Jul 6, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We had a guest speaker at our club meeting the other night. He was saying that when you have a bar of queen cells the better ones will have more sculpting (looks like starting to build cells on the outside of the cell) on them. His reasoning was if they paid that much attention to the outside of the cell they must have paid that much attention to the inside of the cell.

Any thoughts or observations from others?

2. rast

rast New Member

Thoughts are he must keep better records than most of us.
    Best sculpted in # 032. Very little sculpting in 041. 6 months later, 032 3 deep, 041 a dud. To me it kinda goes along with a larger cell will be a better queen.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I just recently read someplace about how some beekeeper concluded that large queen cells didn't mean better queens...and now I can't remember where I was reading it! D'OHHH!!!! :doh:

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I would have to agree.

But that does not mean that viral and bacterial issues were any less. Or that the egg was or was not messed up anyways. Nature throws all the variations into the mix.

I think that sculpting on the queen cell is an indication of an extremely packed hive. Unfortunately, this does not guarantee better queens. Just that they were tended too a bit better. But think having bees scupt everytime means you are doing a good job, and you then can eliminate other problems. This (not strong hives) being one less to worry about. Many other things can go wrong.