Bi-lingual the problem?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bsweet, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I have noticed that a lot of people get upset at the grammer the some of us use and just wanted to say it ain't my/our fault.I speak four languages. American,Canadian,English and Austrailian some (mostly bad words)Spanish,Mexican,French,German.then throw in the various dialects for all. Have done time in the U.S.Army been a Farmer a Biker,and contractor and now tryin to learn Bee speak with the ladies. So who is to say MY/OUR grammer is wrong or bad just because they don't speak the same as us????Just ask my wife some times my mouth outruns my brain so why not my fingers when running a key board? Anyone else feel this way? :confused: Jim

2. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Jim, I woulden't think of criticizing anyone over grammer. The way I spell would leave me wide open. Those who criticize are rude, thoughtless and/or ignorant. Pay no mind we are glad you are here. Thank you for your service.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Oh no body has said anything to me YET, just have seen it else where.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Jim, I think typos and the like are simply products of trying to talk with our fingers in as short of a period of time as possible, and should be of no concern. One of the rules of timed online conferences is to not worry about typos, grammar, or spelling; just get the thought out.

I tend to agree with Redcrane with the addition that those who criticize might also be trying to be funny...in which case they shouldn't quit their day job.

These forums are social media and should be enjoyable and informative. Lacking that, they are nothing.

Enjoy!

Walt

5. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I doubt you'll get much judgement around here. I think most of us have figured out that eloquence in language is not a good indication of high brain function... I had to correct what I just wrote about four times to make it somewhat ledgible. :roll:
    PS, I'm missing two fingers so when you read what I type outloud, it should sound like I have a speech impedement.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

LOL.. No everybody here has been just fine , I was just makeing referance to the fact that we all use the spoken and written word differently. the word "fag" is a cigarette in England for example. I just see some people get picky. Jim

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think it's all relative.Me and the rat are regularly taking jabs at each other. We understand them and know the other is ready to play along. There's many of my posts aimed at certain ones that I would never aim at certain others. You need to consider how the other will take it.

The one in the spotlight now was a newbie reacting to an old timer posting. I think that was across the line of good taste and showed it in my first reply to it. I also think the others let it be known quite sufficiently.

Now, I think the old poster has crossed the line with his tagline, and hope he removes it shortly. I haven't said anything before now about it because he is an oldtimer and quite valued. I just hope he will police himself and let bygones be bygones.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

All around we have a good group of people here on the forum. Like Iddee said him and I poke fun at each other and we laugh with each other not at. This reminds me of years ago I was a supervisor in a machine shop and shared an office with the assymble supervisor one day he came in the office and we started giving each other the same hard time we always did. However He didnt get the phone hung up after paging and employee and everything that was said was broadcast throughout the plant. Everyone thought we was getting ready to duke it out and came running. So its easy to see things different from different angles him and i was joking and everyone else thought we was going after it. I agree the different terms used in different countries where one is accepted and in others it is not. another example is the peace sign with 2 fingers is accepted here but we had a president a few years ago that was in a foreign country flashed the peace sign it just happened to be a derogatory gesture in that country I think it was bush senior who done this.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Walt writes:
    These forums are social media and should be enjoyable and informative. Lacking that, they are nothing.

tecumseh:
    absolutely dead on target brother.

I do think Bsweet makes a good point in that even within this country 'the proper use' of the english language can leave other folks just scratching their head. as perhaps my wife the behaviorist (ethologist<--- pretty fancy huh?) would tell ya' with social interaction 'context' is often times the element that many folks don't get (with context being very nicely described by Iddee and riverrat in post 7 and 8).

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Does that mean we can no longer say "up s**t creek without a paddle"?
    Henceforth we must say "In polluted purgatory without proper means of locomotion". :shock: :D

11. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Iddee I have been up both those cricks Jim

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Is it a crick, or a creek, or a branch, or a stream? Let's get it right, now. :thumbsup: :wave:

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It's a "brook" where I grew up, or a "run" here in PA.

Reminds me of a conversation my sister had one Christmas with her British roommate, while looking at a traditional holiday Nativity display.
    American sister: "That is a very nice Creche scene."
    British roomate: "What? It's a Crib scene."
    Sister: "No, a crib is a little bed you put a baby in."
    Roommate: "No, that's a cot."
    Sister: "No, a cot is a low, folding bed."
    Roommate: "No, that is a camp bed."
    At which point they both collapsed in gales of laughter.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

give'em an inch and they take a mile and it's a crick.