bifenthrin...

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by tecumseh, Sep 10, 2012.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have participated for the past two years in the national health survey for honey bees. this past year was the first year where sample from comb and the analysis of pesticides found in the comb and pollen where in the following form and I used the first product listed as an example. I have some question in regards to this if anyone can assist me to understand some of the notation.... thanks for that in advance.

Pesticide LOD (ppb) Level detected in your Colonies (ppb) National Average (ppb) National Prevalence(%)
    bifentrin 1 4.2 8.1 2.0 (for some reason these number can not be properly space below the appropriate column heading)

this product is evidently used on lots of grain product

a bit of a search reveal first this..
    bifenthrin was detected in 94% of sediment samples in a study of residential stream sediments in central Texas. The mean concentration of bifenthrin was 0.74 μg/g organic content (OC), with a maximum concentration found at 2.9 μg/g OC.37

AND THEN THIS....

Terrestrial Invertebrates • Bifenthrin is very highly toxic to bees with a reported
    oral LD50 of 0.1μg/bee and contact LD50 of 0.01462 μg/ bee.3

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE .1UG/BEE MEANS???

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I think it means 1/10 of a microgram per bee which is pretty low considering a microgram equals one millionth of a gram.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks ablanton....