BIG day for me and daughter!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, May 13, 2013.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

Check out what we got to do yesterday evening! Audree is 8 and this is her first year beekeeping. It was a 1st swarm for both of us as well (and I have been at it since 2007). I told her that she was my good luck charm.

I caught the queen and hived the swarm. It was HUGE. Covered 8-10 deep frames. The queen did fly off when I hived it, but it was late (7:45pm) and the bees were fanning at the hive entrance, so my hope is that she simply returned (I did stay put for several minutes in case she was orienting to me.)

I will check today to see if they stayed. I hope the did, of course, but if they didn't - daughter and I still had a heck of a day!

Audree swarm.JPG Audree swarm 2.JPG

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, that's AWESOME!!!
    I would give them a frame with fresh eggs on it, from another hive. That way, if they lost their queen they will quickly make new queen cells on that frame and you won't have all those great bees go to waste. Also, a frame or two of live brood to care for will encourage them to not leave the new hive. :)

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That's great! :) I'm sure that was quite an experience.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With as cute a good luck charm as you have there, you know the queen came back and they all stayed. :D
    I would only look to see if they are flying. I would not open the hive for a week. Give her time to start laying.

5. Tyro

Tyro Member

I just checked on them. Didn't open the hive - just observed. They are all still there and they are bringing in pollen - so I take that as a good sign.

I would have set them up with some brood/eggs, but I don't have any to spare. Our dandelions JUST bloomed this past week and we had our first week of >50F weather. My best overwintered hives have only 3 frames of brood - so I can't weaken them or they will never build up for a honey crop.

Mike

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

The pretty little girl in the bee suit is way too cute. I have sons and grandsons, and that sweet looking girl reminds me of what I missed along the way. You are a good parent to buy her a bee suit and involve her in your hobby. Good on both of you. Gee, you are better than good, you are a great parent.

Nice pick up on the bees.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

My oldest Granddaughter just turned 12, and has been asking (pestering) me for a bee suit for her. Guess what my next order to Mann Lake will be. Good job Tyro.

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Get your granddaughter a bee suit before she reaches the driving age. Seriously, I think it will be money well spent for you. I would do it in a heart beat. Good luck on your new adventure.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

She's been using my old suit (I just use a jacket/veil) but she wants HER OWN!!!! She'll get her own and pass my old one to her younger brother.

10. Tyro

Tyro Member

Thanks for the kind words - shooter and Iddee. I just try to do what I think most of us would do when it comes to raising our kids!

Planning on checking the hive on Friday or Saturday - Audree can't hardly wait!

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is just plain awesome!! Glad to see she has an interest in the bees. Those are some lifetime memories right therefor sure!!

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you do know Tyro that exposing young children to honeybees often means a bit later in life they are preprogrammed to be afraid of nothing?

cute picture and does remind me of my own time in North Dakota.... flat, flat, flat and not a decent tree as far as the eye can see for a honeybee swarm to establish a proper home.

I can clearly remember the first swarm I saw in the Dakota and all they had to cluster onto was a tall shaft of wheat. they would pile up there and the wheat would dip down and hit the ground dumping part of it's load and then the cluster will reform again on the single stalk of wheat. kind of got to be a bit comical to watch.

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

With a winning smile like Audree's, those bees are going to be good natured all summer long. It warms my heart to see her smile. I'm sure it warms yours too, and makes you justifiably proud of her.

15. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Congratulations, it gets no better then that. Tom

16. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

I love it, congrats