Big Dumby Cut Out Left

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fuzzystuff, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I'm confused, I did a cut out on Saturday and had tons of comb banded into frames and 2 boxes of bees vac'ed up and put into hive they were all crawling in and seemed content. Checked it last night box empty and I realized I should have restricted the entry? Any thoughts?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Without the queen they'll even leave a restricted entrance. Did you se her in the box?
    Another line of thought---how far away from the original site did you place the cut-out after you moved it? If it's not far enough away they are likely to return to their original location (at least the field bees).

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had a very large removal leave like that while the hive was still at the removal site. It was one where there was more honey kept than normal. If you had a sticky mess of honey framed in, it may have contributed to it. After that one, I try to keep as much honey as feasible out of the removal hive.

Of course, as bees will do, I had one leave with no honey saved, also.

"Bees will be bees, and do as they please". I think Winnie the pooh said something to that effect.

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

12-15 miles and I never saw her in the box

5. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Oh the Pooh bear. I got about 12 lbs of honey from it.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

At least it wasn't a total loss. :grin:

7. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Don't blame yourself. We can give them the best of the best for a new home...it doesn't mean they have to like it. I did one huge cut-out a while back....I worked on it for two days. It was GORgeous. I had located the queen, and she was in the box! When I went to pick up the bees for the relocation, I literally watched them all leave! Thousands of bees in a beautiful black cloud. :mad: They went about 20 feet up in a palm tree in a parking lot. I was so dejected, I just packed up my stuff and came home. Even if you penned them in, they would have likely left, too. I usually figure about a 40% retention on swarms and cut-outs. That is why I never remove bees for free. If they decide to leave, at least I have some money in my pocket. Sorry they left, but as others have said...Bees will be bees!

8. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Thats the truth I will get paid well sad part was I was collecting the bees for a Jr BK I've been helping get started.

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Bummer. Live and learn and I did from your explanation and this thread. Thanks and better luck next time.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I expect G3 will have something to say about that Iddee! :rolling:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ahhh poo

Hard to believe they left brood. Sometimes the stress is just too much and they will abscond. Fuzzy that is exactly why I charge too, if the bees do happen to build up an make it that is just a bonus.